Wedding Woes

Old lady club gossip LONG

To recap: My little chapter only has four people left in it now.  One lady who has been in it forever (we'll call her Sue) and doesn't want to let our chapter die.  She recruited me and the two others within the past 5 years and we are really only still here to keep Sue happy.  When I joined there was only one other long-time member (we'll call her Mary).  But then about three years ago Mary started getting super flakey, making promises and then bailing on them.  She is the one that had her own garage sale the very same day of our group garage sale, etc.  She would declare herself unable to help with our HUGE volunteer project unless it was something she could do during working hours at her office, etc.  Then she just quit coming to anything, didn't pay her dues, etc. 

Sue has been very upset about this and at least 30 minutes of every meeting since then has been filled with her agonizing over Mary.  Should we pay her dues for her and keep her on the rolls?  Should we write her a letter?  Maybe she is sick and doesn't want anyone to know!  Maybe her job is too stressful!  About a year ago, Sue did go to Mary's office (because she never returned any of her phone calls) to ask her if everything was okay.  Mary said that it was just a scheduling issue.  She is a single parent and her daughter has activities on the night we meet.  Was there a different night that work for her?  No, daughter has activities every night.

Meanwhile, I'm FB friend with Mary and know that is not true.  Her daughter actually spends a lot of time with her dad and according to her FB check-ins, she spends A LOT of time meeting up with friends at a local restaurant that is the closest thing we have to a bar in our town.  But whatever, let her go.  She doesn't want to be in old lady club anymore and can't be honest about it.  I happen to know a few other things that confirm for me that Mary is a hot mess.  We are better off without her drama. 

All of this dragged out so much longer because while she was blowing us off, she was still communicating with the state organization.  She even told someone that she wanted to state president (there is never a contest or an election for that, they'll give it to anyone who is willing) so they were all set for her to be installed this summer until the state people found out that she was not a member of our chapter anymore, and there is a rule that you have to be part of a local chapter in order to be state president (adurr). 

I thought the issue was finally dead.  But then Sue called me the other day to tell me that she was talking to a lady in a chapter in a town 45 minutes away from my town.  Mary contacted that chapter and asked to join them. 

WHAAA?  Sue is soooo pissed.  I just had to laugh.  I'm fine with letting her flake all over another chapter now.  But I find it hilarious that not even Mary is willing to let this thing die.  Just quit already, lady!  You know you can't commit.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Old lady club gossip LONG

• DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment

Old ladies are so hilariously obsessed with their little clubs. I used to help my grandmother with some of her stuff, and BOY was that life or death to some of these people. ("NO! That boxed lunch is for Mary & Joe! We can't give one to Sally now and make another for Mary before she comes to pick it up, even though they are identical lunches! The horror!")

I also baked a cake for one of her bake sales. Our oven, for whatever reason, made every cake crooked. So one end would be kindof thin and the other thicker, like a wheelchair ramp of iced goodness. When I handed it over, you should have seen the horrified look on this woman's face. "Oh you poor thing! What happened to your cake?!"

Anyway. I laugh with you.

But I think we need to hear the rest of Mary's Hot Messness, please.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards