Registry and Gift Forum
Options

i got misty over dishes.....

i was putting away my new dishes from the shower and i started packing up the old dishes and i got all misty.

i bought these crazy briht red dishes when i was 18 and moved out. it was like a growing up moment putting those crazy red plates in our "donate" box and being 25 and putting my new sleek white plates in the cabnient.

has anyone else had a little growing up moment (no matter how old you are) with this wedding. a moment that made you relize you are suddenly going to be an adult!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: i got misty over dishes.....

• Options

All that stuff didn’t hit me until after we were married. I lived home until our wedding night, so it was a pretty huge adjustment for me. It wasn’t real until around our first week back from our honeymoon & we were living normal day-to-day activities. It’s a whole new life. 

• Options
    edited June 2012
    It wasn't an "Oh my God I'm an adult moment" as much as it was "Oh my God, I am really jumping off a cliff here" when I left my gorgeous lakeshore Victorian apartment in Cleveland for the last time to move to Philadelphia and start a new life with my now DH.  I was crying as I was walking around saying goodbye to all of the rooms.  I actually thanked it for being a great home.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    Every time we get lots of gifts, I get the "adult" feeling (basically that it's not just "me" anymore to worry about).  I move this week, so I feel like I'm probably going to be the same way GoodLuckBear!
  • Options
    I get very emotional every time I sign a credit card receipt, since I am so attached to my last name. I'm the first girl of all 5 siblings to get married (5 kids that are 7 years apart, ridiculously close), and it absolutely kills me to think of changing my last name.

Ummm I guess that's not really registering and gifts related....
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_i-got-misty-over-dishes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:c2199c2b-50c4-4b98-b4fb-859f07913a30Post:20626c86-3fa7-4be5-86e3-d1f74d43fa4b">Re: i got misty over dishes.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I get very emotional every time I sign a credit card receipt, since I am so attached to my last name. I'm the first girl of all 5 siblings to get married (5 kids that are 7 years apart, ridiculously close), and it absolutely kills me to think of changing my last name. Ummm I guess that's not really registering and gifts related....
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

i totally get this, i'm the first girl born into my last name in almost 8 genorations. I have sister's and female cousins now but i was the first and losing my last name is a little scary.

I'm so freaked out by changing my name even though we have been engaged for 5 out of the 8 years we have been dating. what i'm thinking of doing is removing my current middle name (i have no connection to it, my mom picked it because the nurse told her it was been a popular choice in 1986) and putting my current last name as my middle name. you won't see it most of the time but i know it's there, it's a little like my security blanket!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_i-got-misty-over-dishes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:c2199c2b-50c4-4b98-b4fb-859f07913a30Post:16634145-77df-4e3a-baa6-2a63ef660e44">Re: i got misty over dishes.....</a>:
    [QUOTE] what i'm thinking of doing is removing my current middle name (i have no connection to it, my mom picked it because the nurse told her it was been a popular choice in 1986) and putting my current last name as my middle name. you won't see it most of the time but i know it's there, it's a little like my security blanket!
    Posted by broomstick88[/QUOTE]

I would do this, but I go by both names (ex: 'Mary-Beth') so that would be weird, too.
    I'm just being rotten. :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_i-got-misty-over-dishes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:c2199c2b-50c4-4b98-b4fb-859f07913a30Post:20626c86-3fa7-4be5-86e3-d1f74d43fa4b">Re: i got misty over dishes.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I get very emotional every time I sign a credit card receipt, since I am so attached to my last name. I'm the first girl of all 5 siblings to get married (5 kids that are 7 years apart, ridiculously close), and it absolutely kills me to think of changing my last name. Ummm I guess that's not really registering and gifts related....
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

I was very emotional about changing my last name, too.  As much as I was excited to be Mrs. Osterizer, I was sad that I was losing my identity as Miss Maiden Name.  I felt like it was another thing disconnecting me from my parents.
    Visit The Nest! image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_i-got-misty-over-dishes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:c2199c2b-50c4-4b98-b4fb-859f07913a30Post:16634145-77df-4e3a-baa6-2a63ef660e44">Re: i got misty over dishes.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: i got misty over dishes..... : i totally get this, i'm the first girl born into my last name in almost 8 genorations. I have sister's and female cousins now but i was the first and losing my last name is a little scary.  I'm so freaked out by changing my name even though we have been engaged for 5 out of the 8 years we have been dating. <strong>what i'm thinking of doing is removing my current middle name</strong> (i have no connection to it, my mom picked it because the nurse told her it was been a popular choice in 1986) <strong>and putting my current last name as my middle name. you won't see it most of the time but i know it's there, </strong>it's a little like my security blanket!
    Posted by broomstick88[/QUOTE]

I'm doing this!! I am the only girl in my family and I feel SO weird about giving up my last name. I would hyphenate it, but it would be way too long. So I am changing my middle name to my maiden name.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_i-got-misty-over-dishes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:c2199c2b-50c4-4b98-b4fb-859f07913a30Post:b1cf5c70-82bd-4672-a819-32bbd8be8f77">Re: i got misty over dishes.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: i got misty over dishes..... : I'm doing this!! I am the only girl in my family and I feel SO weird about giving up my last name. I would hyphenate it, but it would be way too long. So I am changing my middle name to my maiden name.
    Posted by maribeth721[/QUOTE]

I would have hyphenated, but my name would have been obnoxiously long, had a random apostrophe in the middle, and my students would have the opportunity to call em Mrs. B-O. 
    My male cousin, who shares my maiden name, got married a couple of years ago, and when I realized HIS wife was going to be a MyMaidenName and not me, I got a little upset. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards