Not Engaged Yet

Birthday Blues (Vent)

This is the first year I haven't been excited for my birthday.  Don't get me wrong it's not like I used to run around, telling everyone it was my birthday or getting all yay me, but this year I'm just plain old grumpy.

I had a melt down last night about a bunch of crap and today I just feel very blah.  I didn't even want to get out of bed this morning.  I feel like I'm another year older and in the SAME spot I was in last year...like I've accomplished nothing.  I haven't lost the weight I wanted, still don't have my degree, still work a job where I'm not appreciated...

Anyway, does anyone else get the birthday blues?  Part of me is like, hey, I'm not old enough to be the grumpy about a birthday, but yet here I am.

Re: Birthday Blues (Vent)

• edited December 2011
    Ok.  A few things.

1)  Happy Birthday!  Today is the one day of the year that it's totally acceptable to wear something ridiculous or entirely over-dressed.  Today you'll most likely get good sex from your SO.  Today all of your relatives who otherwise never call you will call because they're thinking of you and love you.  Today, even if no one buys you a gift, you're allowed to go get something nice for yourself.  SO CHEER UP!

2)  Don't live your life with regrets.  You are you own best advocate.  If you didn't lose weight this year or fulfill any other goals, it might be because LIFE got in the way.  Were you busy?  Stressed?  Emotionally, mentally, or physically, just exhausted?  Give yourself a little credit.  You're not perfect.  No one's perfect.  Just because you didn't achieve a goal this year doesn't mean it won't happen.  And honestly, give yourself a BREAK and take care of yourself. 

Don't hate on yourself for the things you didn't do or did wrong; celebrate the things you did do or did well.  When you're proud of yourself, take yourself to get a manicure, an ice cream cone, or shopping.  When you're not proud of yourself, don't berate yourself.  There are too many people in the world who would so gladly do that for you.  Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, calmly ponder WHY it is that you didn't get something accomplished, and do your best to do better next time.

3) Go out and ENJOY your day!
  • Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ya. I hate my birthday. This year especially, because over the past 8 months or so, the core group of friends BF and I did everything with has fallen apart to nothing. I'm attempting to get a group together from a selection of friends who don't know one another, because for once, I actually want to try to have fun on my birthday.

And then there's my family, which while I know I should be greatful for this, I hate the way they do birthdays. It's a huge to-do, and everyone (sisters, parents, grandparents, cousins if they happen to be around) sits around and stares at you as you open your gifts. You have to comment on everything, and it gets passed around for all to see. Fine when you're 10, not so fine when you're older.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My grandma had the best philosophy - we were talking about aging and wrinkles and aches and pains, and I commented on how happy she is every year for her birthday.  And she said, "If you don't regret the way you spent the year, then you should be proud of every year you earn."  Then she pointed to her wrinkles around her eyes, and said, "See these?  I earned these through 60 years of laughing."

While you might not have accomplished everything you wanted to in the last year, did you have good memories?  Happy moments?  Things that you'll remember years from now and will make you smile?  I'm sure you have, even if right now you can only focus on the things that didn't get accomplished.  You'll get there!  And look, now you have a whole new year to try to get in shape and work on finishing school.  Set yourself a goal for the next year, and make a plan to accomplish it.

Anniversary

• Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and because I just realized I didn't say it in my last post: Happy Birthday!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies.  I really appreciate your words of wisdom.  Shoes, you made me tear up a little bit.   

I think I really need to adjust my thinking like you've all said.  Instead of focusing on the negative I'm going to do my best to focus on all the good that's going to come to me in the next 12 months.  And plus, next year my birthday will be 11/11/11!  Sweet.

I also suppose that the saying, "having your birthday is much better than the alternative," should be my mantra for the remainder of today.
  • edited December 2011
    Happy Birthday :)) Cheer Up!
    South Florida July Siggy Challenge-Bouquet image . image image ................. Invited:120image Attending:121 image Declined:001image Not Yet Replied:0image RSVP Date: July 25th Ready to Roll!!
  • CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Wow Shoes, that was really great advice :) You're so sweet!

Happy Birthday PPE!!  
    This creepily cute kitty says happy birthday too:

hope your day gets better, hun!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_birthday-blues-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:c0f1fbf2-4959-43da-bafe-9ff580881eb8Post:56c05e1f-d748-40ea-8ceb-c68739ee19b4">Birthday Blues (Vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is the first year I haven't been excited for my birthday.  Don't get me wrong it's not like I used to run around, telling everyone it was my birthday or getting all yay me, but this year I'm just plain old grumpy. I had a melt down last night about a bunch of crap and today I just feel very blah.  I didn't even want to get out of bed this morning.  I feel like I'm another year older and in the SAME spot I was in last year...like I've accomplished nothing.  I haven't lost the weight I wanted, still don't have my degree, still work a job where I'm not appreciated... Anyway, does anyone else get the birthday blues?  Part of me is like, hey, I'm not old enough to be the grumpy about a birthday, but yet here I am.
    Posted by purplepeopleeater11[/QUOTE]

Happy Birthday, PPE :-)

I will be having those blues in a month or so. I know how it feels and apparently you and I were having a meltdown at the same time last night. I feel that same way like I haven't accomplished anything I should have by now. Try not to get down but I know it's hard.

Enjoy that you've made it through another year on this earth and that you have MANY more to achieve everything you want.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Haha, that kitty is cute in a creepy kind of way.  Thanks chaino and Jen! 

• motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Happy Birthday PPE!  Don't let it get you down, today is your day to be celebrated.  I had the same moment last month when it was my bday, but I realized that I at least tried to accomplish my goals, I didn't make them all but then I come to see that I have the next year to do it and do it better!  So snap out of he grumpy mood toss on a snazzy outfit and celebrate! We've all been there.  I found a old college roommate on FB yesterday, she's already married and is a dentist in her father's practice.  So I was totally bummed that I'm not married yet and still struggling through graduate school.  But I also acknowledge that perhaps this is the path I chose for myself and I'll make the best of it.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Dreamer and Lyn.  It's a hard feeling to shake, but it's good to know I'm not crazy for feeling this way.
  • MidniteRaeMidniteRae member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Happy Birthday! I hope your day gets better!
    "You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." -Ray Bradbury 
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you Midnite!  I hope things go well with your paper!
  • desertsundesertsun member
    edited December 2011
    Happy birthday, PPE! 

As PPs said, try to focus on the things you like about yourself today. 

Make time to do something that will cheer you up.

Tell your BF you need some extra cuddles.

Hope you're feeling better after getting some Knottie love. And maybe later you can talk to your BF about getting some naughty love. ;)

Have a good rest of your day! *hugs*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_birthday-blues-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:c0f1fbf2-4959-43da-bafe-9ff580881eb8Post:1151b1ad-250c-4f5e-9849-81ea3597985e">Re: Birthday Blues (Vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Happy birthday, PPE!  As PPs said, try to focus on the things you like about yourself today.  Make time to do something that will cheer you up. Tell your BF you need some extra cuddles. Hope you're feeling better after getting some Knottie love. And maybe later you can talk to your BF about getting some naughty love. ;) Have a good rest of your day! *hugs*
    Posted by desertsun[/QUOTE]

I do feel much better with all this Knottie love.  Thank you so much ladies!
  • AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I have nothing new to add, but happy birthday!
    I'm not good at feelings.

• CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_birthday-blues-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c0f1fbf2-4959-43da-bafe-9ff580881eb8Post:1151b1ad-250c-4f5e-9849-81ea3597985e">Re: Birthday Blues (Vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]. And maybe later you can talk to your BF about getting some naughty love. ;) 
    Posted by desertsun[/QUOTE]
    Bwahahah! Nice pun :) 
  • edited December 2011
    Happy Birthday PPE!!!
    ♥ Couldn't Ask For More... Wouldn't Settle For Less ♥ Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • desertsundesertsun member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_birthday-blues-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c0f1fbf2-4959-43da-bafe-9ff580881eb8Post:5ff88eb3-ff25-43c3-a3e8-6163293d9520">Re: Birthday Blues (Vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Birthday Blues (Vent) : Bwahahah! Nice pun :) 
    Posted by cschiano[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>LOL, glad somebody caught it! :)

</div>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards