Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

married with children....

Both FI and I have children, his daughters are mainly with their mother, but my son is with us exclusively, and FI is the only dad he knows. Are there any brides on here that are planning destination weddings with kids? how are you dealing with the honeymoon aspect? are you having them fly back with family? The other problem is that we will live nowhere near our families! suggestions?

Re: married with children....

• Options
    I'm almost feeling like we need to forego the honeymoon...
  • Options

Between the two of us, Brian and I have the Brady Bunch beat by 3 kiddos!  Ha ha ha!  Brian's got 6 and I've got 3.  We're both older (in fact, I think I'm the oldest bride to be here on this board now!!!)  With the exception of my 13 year old daughter, the rest are all adults, living on their own. 

With respect to our DW, all three of mine will be there and one of Brian's daughters will be there.  All four are in the wedding party.  Since we're cruising for the week, (Monday thru Friday) we're not really taking a "honeymoon" right after. We're planning a trip to Hawaii for next April which will be considered our honeymoon.  :)

Instead of foregoing your honeymoon, why not just postpone it until sometime in the future where you can arrange something to where your son can spend time with your parents?  Just a thought. 

Good luck! 
  • Options
    Shelli's idea sounds wonderful.  I do know that some people went to resorts that allowed children and then had the children stay with family members and then go home with them..do you have any family members that would be willing to do this?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My FI has 2 children(4 & 8 years old), they are both staying at home with grandmothers. I think you should try for what Shelli said, maybe plan a honeymoon at a later date and make arrangements for someone to watch the kids.
  • Options
    Fi and I have 2 kids. 16 months and 3 yrs.  They are going to stay at home with family.  I wanted them there for pictures, but then we decided to keep them home so we can have fun and a honeymoon. ITs going to be hard though being away from our kids for 10 days. 
  • Options
    Our dd is almost 3, and it's VERY tough for us to find venues that are appropriate for young kids.  She's staying with us except for the wedding night, when she'll stay with my sister.  We're just going to made sure we rent something with 2 bedrooms.  lol

As for a honeymoon, it'll be a "familymoon."  FI and I have traveled a LOT and can't imagine dd not being with us.  Plus, our families aren't able/willing to keep dd for 7+ days for various reasons.  And since I stay home with her, she's never had a sitter and us being gone for a week would probably cause her more harm than good.  I couldn't do that to my baby girl.  It's just a tradeoff for us, for having her before we were married. 
  • Options
    Agree with PP. Another option is to find a resort or hotel that has childcare or children's programs. That way, if your best option is for them to stay with you, you and your Fi can still get to do things without them.  Or, a family member or nanny could stay at the same place and keep them for the honeymoon time. You could also look into local sitters too, though I would get lots of references if you go this route.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have a 17 year old daughter ( I may have you beat on age Shelli ;)  and we are getting married at Sandals at Ocho Rios and my parents are staying at the Beaches a few miles down the road with her due to Sandals being adult only.  My parents are taking my daughter home with them when they leave Jamaica so that we can have our honeymoon. I do realize that we are lucky in that I have a HUGE family and there are several people I could send her back with. We also picked this route should any of aunts/uncles come with my cousins I did like the kids programs that Beaches had with the Sesame Street characters, waterslides....  I do hope you can find something that works for you!
  • Options
    thank you ladies. I think I'm going to push for the honeymoon at a later date idea. Both his DDs, (11 and 13 currently, will be 13 and 15 at the time of the wedding,) and my DS are going to be in the wedding. Well, that may be putting the cart before the horse, since I HOPE their mother will agree to allow them to be in the wedding. Maybe we can use the post-wedding time as a family bonding kind of deal, and set something up for a few years down the line. Besides, the girls have already asked whether they can babysit when they come to visit us! haha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards