Christian Weddings

Portrait Fail

Okay so I'm a little sad.  The best laid plans ... well we all know what happens.

I had my portrait June 11th.  We were looking at the pictures and the veil is just NOT the same color as the dress.  It almost looks BLEACH white compared to my dress.  So, mom is going to tea-dye the lace that she put on the veil (for a second time, I assume) to see if we can get it to match, we'll have to get a second hair appointment (at $60 per appointment that's not cheap!) and get the photographer again.  Hopefully we can get it all to happen on a day when parking is free at the place where we want to do the picture.  

I've shed enough tears about this.  Everything else in the wedding planning process has been fine.  Mom was trying to "play it safe" on dying the veil, and now it's going to cost us at least another $100.  And of course she's blaming me for not telling her that I wanted something changed on the veil.  She was the one who assured me that the color matched.  When it was put on my head at the hair salon I couldn't see if the color matched anymore, she assured me it was fine.  Well, we have picture evidence ... either she didn't dye it initially, or she just wasn't looking in natural light.  And I'm just not sure why in the world I'm the one getting blamed.  All I'm doing now is trying to be proactive and trying to suggest that we dye the veil again and take both dress and veil to sunlight (outside) to make sure that they match in natural light.  Seriously.  UGHHHHHHHH.

Oh, and now we have to get a second portrait shoot done, in enough time to get the photos back AND order the canvas print so that we have the canvas in time for the wedding .... time is definitely getting away from us. 

Vent over.  

July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!

Re: Portrait Fail

• edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry, Kelly!  I hope that your mom is able to dye the veil the right color and everything gets done in time!  I'll say a prayer.  Keep us updated!
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • edited December 2011
    Well, mom just spend an hour and a half doing my hair like she saw the hair stylist do it ... and she came close minus the pressurized hairspray.  So... because the portrait is outside, we need to get to the site as EARLY as possible, maybe even THIS Saturday morning ... mom will probably just do my hair (the veil covers up the intricate detail anyway, so it just needs to be close) ... but that means probably getting up at 5am to start on hair and make up so we can be at the portrait site (DRESSED) by 8am... beFORE it gets hot!  It's averaging about 95 degrees every day and it gets hot early in the summer in NC, so we are just hoping that we have enough time to get it all done.

I think mom's going to take the morning off of work tomorrow to dye the veil in sunshine / natural light so that we achieve the right color.  

More to come, I suppose ... I'm just so disappointed that this portrait thing didn't turn out right the first time.

Hopefully our photographer can work with us on getting the photo shoot scheduled ... !!! 
  • GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't worry... feel free to vent!  I know how frustrating these things are in the lead up to the wedding.  I tried on my dress and veil together just a few days before my wedding, only to realize that my veil was problematically  long and I had to have rush alterations.  I'm glad your mom is going to be able to fix it, but it must be so annoying having to worry about this before your wedding and make those extra payments.  The good thing was that you were able to discover this in advance, so when your wedding day comes, you'll look beautiful! :-)
  • edited December 2011
    If my grandma were here, she'd tell you this crazy story about how she wanted her wedding to turn out, and how NOTHING turned out the way she had planned. She has pictures that she thinks look aweful (because it's not what she wanted or planned) but they're gorgeous. In 40 years you're not going to care that your veil isn't the exact same shade as your dress, all that you're going to care about is that you're still happily married and that you had a wonderful memorable day surrounded by all your closest friends and family. 

It is good though, that you caught these things sooner than last minute. It would be even worse if you had waited until your wedding day to put everything on together.
  • edited December 2011
    WHEW, we're re-dying the lace tomorrow, and the photographer can shoot on Wednesday morning ... bright and early.  Mom played with my hair today and she can get it *almost* like the hair stylist did it, and since the veil is covering it up, it just needs to kind of be "in the shape" of the intended style and we'll be fine.  

I'm going to hate getting up at 5:30 on Wednesday morning to start hair and makeup... we have to leave at 7:10 to get to the site where we're shooting the portraits, and we are starting the shoot at 8am (before it gets hot!).

I feel better about it, but still disappointed that it didn't quite turn out right the first time.  Like you ladies said -- at least we caught it now, and we can fix it before the wedding day comes around!

2 weeks and 6 days to go ... and counting!!!!! :-) 
  • mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Glad things are (kind of) working out. Sorry that the pictures weren't good in the first place and you're having to deal with it at all :(
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • edited December 2011
    Yay!  I'm so glad you were able to schedule a reshoot!  I'll be praying that this next set of pics turns out AWESOME!
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • edited December 2011
    Glad to hear you'll be able to work everything out. Better to catch it now than the day of!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards