June 2013 Weddings

Do I have time to make this happen?

So he just proposed two weeks ago. I'd really like to get married in June as thats fairly close to our two year anniversary which I think would be so special. But I'm worried about having enough time to get everything accomplished by then.

My biggest concern is finding a venue that is still available. And getting a dress of course. I know I need to get started on that yesterday.

FI's family is very formal which might complicate things. Can I make this happen? How long did you all start planning??
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Do I have time to make this happen?

• Congratulations on your engagement!!!!

You can totally make it happen.  Lots of people have planned weddings in much less time than you have now.

Get your budget and guest list in order, then start working on the venue.  For June you might have to be a little flexible with dates, but I'm sure there is stuff out there.

While alot of dress designers want a long turnaround time, some don't.  Also, some do rush orders and in some cases, you can buy a sample dress (which is what I did).

To answer your question--alot of us have been engaged almost a year or more and therefore have been planning off and on since then.  But don't worry about what everyone else is doing, just focus on you and your new fiance! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Many of us have been planning for a while, like a year or so, but that doesn't mean you HAVE yo have that much time. I think that if you jump right in, stay organized, and really get on top of things you'll be fine. Start with making your guest list, because you can't get a venue without knowing how many people you might have. I'm sure there are still great venues available, esp if you aren't set on a specific weekend in June. Good luck, and we are here is you need any suggestions!!!!!
    Honeymoon Destination - Hawaii image
  • Of course you can! My friend was just married last weekend and she got engaged over the summer. Another friend had a July wedding and got engaged just the November before. This is definitely possible. As mentioned, get a solid number for your guest list and your total budget together before you look at any venues. These things need to be hashed out and very firm because you will find otherwise that things add up much quicker than you think. I guess first this means talk to your FI, then the important immediate family to confirm the guest list, this is likely the hardest part, especially if they are helping to pay because them they do have a say.
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • You can totally do it. Especially if you are willing to get married on a Friday or Sunday. I agree with everyone else. Get your budget and guest list down and find your venue. Everything else will fall into place. Congratulations by the way. =)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • First Congratulations! Second I agree with the other ladies. If you think that you can do this then welcome aboard. I've definitely known people who have put weddings together in less time. It just means it might be a little more difficult and you might have to work a little quicker depending on where you live. Where I live I had to book certain things with plenty advance time, because there are limited vendors that do a really good job. You can definitely do it though!

Good luck with your planning! We're here to help if you need it! Smile
  • I think you'll have plenty of time to do it. Like the others suggested, I would get to working on a guest list so you can have an idea of how many people to expect and then get to venue shopping.

Good luck and welcome to the board if you decide on June!
  • cnf2013cnf2013 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited October 2012
    Congrats and welcome! It's doable, but as stated above you'll probably have to be flexible and you may not get your first choices on everything, so start vendor shopping asap. You still have enough time to order a dress. Different designers have different turn around times. Maggie takes the full eight months where as AA takes about two months-ish (even though they'll quote you longer, they keep their populars in production and stock). 

Like others have said, some of us have been here for a while now. But most of us who have been engaged a year or more have had a lot of down time in planning. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Congrats! It is totally doable-you have about 8 months and lots of people plan weddings in 8 months or less :) As others have mentioned, your biggest issue will be that June is a major wedding month, but being 8 months out, I think you should still have many great options when it comes to venues and vendors! I've been engaged and planning for the last 9 months or so and some vendors I talk to are suprised I was booking them out this far in advance, so it just depends! Good luck! :)
  • Congrats! I definitely agree with the other ladies that you do have time to make this happen, but you will need to get the big things nailed down ASAP and just be prepared that you most likely will not have your first choice on everything. Things I would nail down right away: venue, photoggrapher, guest list, and dress. I ordered my dress from Mori Lee, they said it would take about 5 months to come in and it only took 2. Just be advised that a lot of stores told me to have my dress ordered no later than November as a lot of the dressmakers shut down for 6 weeks for the Chinese New Year.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited October 2012
    Congrats!  I agree with everyone else, you definitely have enough time.  But just as a reference, I got engaged last November and then decided to wait until June 2013 to get married.  I thought it worked out really well for us because we got to relax and enjoy being engaged for a few months, and then we started slowly wedding planning (which was nice because it can get overwhelming trying to find all the vendors!).  I found that planning things over a year in advance helped me get all the vendors I wanted, but at the same time I'm still booking things now and finding good vendors that are still available.  Although the venues and photographers will book up more quickly.  But I think if you're really fast with making decisions than your should go for it!  Talk to your fiance and maybe both of your families and see how they feel about the wedding date.  If you're set on June and you can't find an available venue, then you can always wait until June 2014 instead, and you'll definitely get first choice of every vendor out there!  Keep us updated on how it goes!
  • Thank you ladies! I had a few "friends" try to tell me I couldn't make it happen in time. I just don't want to wait another year to get married.

I found a venue available on June 16th that takes care of the catering, cocktail hour, dj, photographer, florist and cake for you. And they specialize in food from the region my FI is from. The only thing is that's Father's Day but my dad doesn't mind and I don't think his side of the family really celebrates it. We could do something special for all the dad's too. It would be so wonderful not to have to worry about all the little details.

Now if they'd only send me their pricing packages. X.x
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards