Second Weddings

Trying not to get too excited yet

Well this is my first post here... Ive been lurking awhile.

This is my 2nd marriage and FIs first. We havent officially gotten engaged yet, we are still trying to figure out our budgets and stuff. He wants to have a pretty solid plan before we tell anyone whats going on. Understandable because we are not sure how much of a backlash we are going to get. We have been friends for over a year and a half and started dating last summer exclusively. I wanted to make sure I was over the drama with my ex... trust me there was a ton of it.

Little background. My divorce is going to actually be final June 25th. EXH has fought it for 3 years. We were only married for 5 months when he left me for another married woman and they moved into his moms house. My family was opposed to the wedding from the start thinking he treated me like crap. He was a manipulative abusive cheater who broke my spirit for a long time. He served me with divorce papers on Valentines Day as an engagement gift to his married girlfriend with his mother paying for BOTH of their divorces. Lovely family I know. Well I thought the divorce was final last year and it turns out he withdrew the divorce papers the day before it was final. So I finally sucked it up and hired my own lawyer and pushed it through. Gave EXH the option to sign or we use the prenup and I go for a fault divorce. So here I am at the end of the waiting period. Glad I found out now and not after we told everyone of our plans or worse.

So how has everyone gone about telling their families? How were the reactions. Surprisingly my family really likes him and keeps telling me how he is a keeper. I just feel weird. EXH and I were married over 3 ago. So that is far but not that far. But since then my house has burned down and everyone from my family knows how terrible he treated me and how bitter our divorce was they seem to be really accepting of N.

I also know N wants a big wedding and my best friend is so excited to plan a bridal shower and everything (she wasnt allowed in my first wedding, only EXH family was allowed). But is that against etiquette. She says no since N and I are just starting out on our own together. After the fire I moved on campus at the university I attend and he stayed with his dad until we got back on our feet to rent a place.

Sorry to ramble. Lots on my mind today. He wants to start looking at venues this weekend and Im getting nervously excited.

Re: Trying not to get too excited yet

• Sounds like you've picked a better man this time around, and learned from the past.  Good deal!  No, it is not wrong to have showers, etc.  What is not done is to throw them for yourself, so your friend's offer is great.  Remember you don't invite anyone to the shower who isn't invited to the wedding. 

This is your first marrige to this man, so have fun, take your time (no reason to rush, at least from what I can surmise from your post), and enjoy the moments together. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_trying-not-to-get-too-excited-yet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:3d639108-2fd1-477d-81fa-0f5767aef5bdPost:0d5c6971-c5c5-4993-8794-adebb2426ef5">Re: Trying not to get too excited yet</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sounds like you've picked a better man this time around, and learned from the past.  Good deal!  No, it is not wrong to have showers, etc.  What is not done is to throw them for yourself, so your friend's offer is great.  Remember you don't invite anyone to the shower who isn't invited to the wedding.  This is your first marrige to this man, so have fun, take your time (<strong>no reason to rush</strong>, at least from what I can surmise from your post), and enjoy the moments together. 
    Posted by handfast4me[/QUOTE]

I agree, there is no reason to rush.  Take things one at a time.  Process the end of your first marriage when the divorce is finalized next month.  Even though you have been separated for a while, it may be quite a milestone when you have that paper from the court with the raised seal (yee ha!).  Why <u>not</u> get excited??

I believe it as important to commemorate/acknowledge the end of something as it is to celebrate a new chapter. Get ready for a proposal (Who is popping the question?  You?  Him?).  Tell your family together.  Enjoy your engagement. Have fun planning the wedding of your dreams. Congratulations!
  • I cannot wait for the divorce to be officially final. It is going to be such a relief. I am still angry that I had to shell out a ton to get it finalized because of the drama and games of my ex and his family but so glad I am on the last stretch.

N and I are having a cookout the weekend after the divorce is final. I am pretty excited to not only be marrying my best friend but that we finally have a home again since the fire last September. I am not sure what he has up his sleeve in the terms of proposals. But I know it is coming soon and he wants to make it a surprise. We are supposed to go this weekend to see if we can find the rings we picked out and make a plan from there. He really wants to have my ring before he makes it "official" to our parents.

I know this is something he really wants to do right by me because he knows how crushed I was about what happened the first time around. As much as he says me being previously married does not bother him my dad went on a huge rant infront of N about how much of a jerkface my ex was about the whole thing. My ex completely snubbed my family and would not let them participate in anything. So N wants my dads approval before we move forward.

I talked to my dad a little bit about his rant infront of N and my dad actually really likes N. So this weekend my dad wants to take N out quad riding with the family so N knows they all approve.

Seems like everything is falling into place I have never been so happy in my life. :)

• There is something very gratifying about taking charge of your destiny, ceasing to wait for the other person to do something, and making it happen.  Celebrate being in charge of your own life!  You will look back & be proud of the money you spent to be in the driver's seat. ~Donna
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards