Canada-Ontario

Friday weddings

What is the general consensus--if the place you want have all Saturday's booked out is it too much to ask for your guests to take a day off work?

Re: Friday weddings

• edited December 2011
    Not at all!
    We were going to do destination but changed our minds and are now doing it at home on a Friday. 
    Our thrughts were that if people were going to take a week off they can take off a day!
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A Friday daytime wedding can be asking a lot. Some people just don't have that many vacation days. If it was a Friday evening or afternoon though, and I was in town, I wouldn't mind the excuse to take off from work a little early. But not everyone can afford that luxury, and especially with the economy and job market the way it is, they may not be willing to take that day off.

The people who are important will probably be there, but be prepared to have a lower turnout than you normally would for a Saturday wedding.

I would ask around and make sure that the VIPs - parents, siblings, closest friends etc. - can make it. It comes down to a decision about what's more important - the venue, or the people?
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • miellenmiellen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's an annoyance at first if a guest realizes they have to take time off work, but ultimately they want to be at your wedding, and they'll come.

There will definitely be less people at your ceremony/reception if it's in the daytime - I saw this happen at the 4 Friday weddings I went to this summer - but for an evening reception, people will likely be able to make it. I must say, a Friday evening reception is a MUCH better choice than a Sunday evening reception
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing a Friday evening wedding, the plan is to get married at 7pm with a cocktail reception/dance to follow, we are planning having a  buffet of light finger foods and sweets.  I personally wouldn't mind taking a Friday off to go to a wedding.
    May 2011 March Siggy: Our Venue~ Toronto Argonaut Rowing Club
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Sarah & Geoff~ May 14th, 2011
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_friday-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:868333bc-8e29-4ac5-a98d-8b9eb8c62c5aPost:1a34b603-d793-46e3-88e7-c86dea78475b">Re: Friday weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not at all! We were going to do destination but changed our minds and are now doing it at home on a Friday.  Our thrughts were that if people were going to take a week off they can take off a day!
    Posted by 1dress[/QUOTE]

Eek. I hope you were prepared for 35% of your invited guest list to show up for that week! 'Cause that's generally the way DWs roll.

I think Friday nights are okay, especially if you have a lot of in-town guests, but you are asking people for their precious vacation time if you're planning an afternoon wedding/early evening. Personally, I wouldn't plan a service for any earlier than 6:00 pm. (And just think of the battle with GTA traffic!)

At the end of the day, you've got to do what works for you. I do think it's incredibly important to keep your guests in mind - and make the event worth their while.
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Friday evening seems ok, Friday during the day might be tricky for people to get off work.  I agree with ring_pop - check with the family and bridal party before making any concrete decisions.

As for guests, I know I would prefer a Saturday because I am so exhausted from work during the week on Friday night, BUT if its in the evening and I had enough time to get home from work, get all decked out, etc., then I would probably be excited for it!  May have less OOT guests able to make it, however.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think there's anything wrong with them, but I'm bias because I'm having one :)
    Our ceremony will start at 4:30, and it's a 30 - 40 minute drive for most of our guests. We're having a small wedding (70 people) and we asked most people before hand. People didn't seem to mind at all. I think it's a good excuse to extend the weekend by either a full or half day.

• edited December 2011
    I went to a Friday wedding in September 08. It was at 4 PM so I left work at 2 PM went home and changed and then ventured to the wedding. I had a great time and am now going to have a Friday wedding also :)

I wouldn't worry about it - the guests that you meant to spend your day with will be there :)

In regards to the economy; guests might miss a few hours of work or a few dollars in pay, or a vacation day but what they are getting in return is well worth it. Seeing someone they care about get married, getting a lovely dinner and an evening out... In tough economic times people should realize that a Friday is cheaper for weddings and your guests should be happy that you chose a cheaper day rather than cutting guests.
  • edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are both teachers....so are many of our friends.  Only a small % or people would actually need to take the day off.  In the long run it was better for us.  We are paying for the wedding ourselves, so I think people understand we need to do anything we can to save money.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards