Wedding Etiquette Forum

Mini Rant

FI's parents are being difficult. They've never met my parents. We've scheduled it twice (which is a challenge because we're six hours away from my parents and 7.5 hours from FI's parents.) Both times his parents have bailed for one reason or another. Now we're trying to set something up for Thanksgiving. FI's mom wants it to be 2 weeks before because that'd be easier for her. We don't live there! I'll be in school! Gah! She doesn't get it. Is there a polite way to kick her and hope some sense is added with the kick?
my read shelf:
Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale

Re: Mini Rant

• Is there a polite way to kick her and hope some sense is added with the kick?lolI'd just say that you two aren't available two weeks before Thanksgiving.  Exams?I like your new pic.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• At least they are both interested in meeting.  My mom said she would meet MIL at our wedding.  They ended up meeting at my bridal shower though. 
  • Thanks Mrs. B.  I come to love you more and more as I knot longer. 
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Because I'm a mean old biitch-hag whose husband must be miserable? ;-)
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Teleconference?
  • I vote skype. Just tell your FMIL that it's Thanksgiving or the wedding, it's up to her.
  • Exactly.  I love your mean old biitch-hagness.
    my read shelf:
  • They don't have a functional computer.
    my read shelf:
  • Mostly it is a big deal to my mom.  I already know they'll have zero in common.  My parents are politically liberal, career-long managers, money savers.  His parents are politically right wing nutters, neither have degrees, and couldn't save money at gunpoint.
    my read shelf:
  • I would take it at what it is - his parents aren't interested in meeting yours right now.  It's not that big of a deal.  If your mom is pushing it, just be honest with her and tell her that you've tried to set it up this many times and it's not working out, so let's take a break from it for now and they'll all meet eventually.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Personally I would just give up on the idea.  Our moms met at my shower 3 months before the wedding.  My dad met MIL at the rehersal.  They will most likely never see each other again, maybe if we have children, but even then I do not see it happening. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • "My parents are politically liberal, career-long managers, money savers. His parents are politically right wing nutters, neither have degrees, and couldn't save money at gunpoint." Just because they are different from your parents doesn't mean you should put them down- especially about the degrees. Who is to say your parents lifestyle is the "better" one? That seems very snobbish of you. Also, saying "right wing nutters" is pretty offensive. Just because someone is conservative doesn't make them a "nutter." Saying things like that about them is not going to help the relationship. Sorry for the rant but it totally irks me when people make fun of someone b/c of their political views and act like the opposing one is stupid and ignorant. Good luck with the meeting- and if the meeting doesn't work out- they will meet at the rehearsal dinner or wedding- it will be fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards