Wedding Etiquette Forum

Re: C&P from NEY

• The link goes right back to P&E.
  • whats the post called??
  • [link]<a href="http://snipurl.com/nnhow" rel='nofollow'>http://snipurl.com/nnhow</a>[/link]
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• It's called "Was engaged but not now" if you wanna wonder over and read it. It's not really flame worthy, but it's sort of interesting. They were engaged, FI wanted to call off engagement but still be together, and get re- engaged 6 months before the wedding.
  • Thanks MrsB...you're my hero :)
  • oh yeah i already told her to run. thats just weird
  • I agree with the other posters that it sounds like he's slowly trying to back his way out of the relationship.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I think you said it best, Cubs. He's just not that into her.
  • Yep, I posted that he's trying to weasel his way out without actually manning up and breaking it off.
  • I'm a little surprised she even asked for opinions on this one. It sounds like an open and shut case to me. 
  • He lost his balls and can't call it off. She needs to walk away and not look back.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• I'm surprised so many people here feel that way.  There are a LOT of women here who think that long engagements are ridiculous.  I realize that 6 months is short, but come on.Maybe the man is, like my FI, tired of people saying "So, when's the big daaaaaaaaaaaay?"

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • I see what you're saying Wading, but to actually call off the engagement just seems really hurtful. Instead of saying "We're holding off for a few years" to strangers, he is willing to hurt his FI?
  • I wouldn't agree to be engaged for years in the first place.  But, if you get engaged, I don't think that you can "take it back" and then get "re-engaged."   
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Originally, when H and I got engaged, it was in Dec 2008. We were planning on 2011 for a wedding, due to school and we wanted to be completley out of debt before entering a marriage. So, I can see that there are reasons for multi year engagement.
  • Several year engagements happen, ours will end up being 3 years, but that's the way it goes when the economy tanks and he says he wants a DW.  I have no qualms with long engagements.But to go from being engaged to not engaged and still together, that's weird.  Especially if the plan is to get married at some point anyway, why the downgrade for awhile?  It's not like a cell phone contract where you save money by downgrading.
  • It's the whole calling off the engagement, but staying together thing that's strange, not the length of the engagement, in my mind at least.  Then again, due to financial circumstances I had a 2.5 year engagement.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I don't have a problem with long engagements.  My FI and I will have a 2 yr engagement when all's said and done because we need the time to save money for the wedding. It just seems like downgrading back to BF/GF after being engaged is indicative of doubts about whether these two people really want to get married to each other.  Yeah, it may get annoying to keep getting the same answers to "So when's the big day? THAT long?!?!?".  But I would never for a moment consider breaking off my engagement with my FI just so I could avoid answering that question.  It just smells fishy to me.
  • It reminds me of college friends who had boyfriends who wanted to "take a break" after college to be sure they wanted to be in the relationship. In my mind, if you need to take a break to be sure, then you don't belong in that relationship. All of the girls agreed and only one guy came back. Apparently he spent the month screwing as many girls as he could and decided that he was ready for a relationship again. 1 year later and they are on another "break" that I anticipate will go the same way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards