Attire & Accessories Forum

Running of the Brides

Has anyone been to the Running of the Brides or know anyone that has? Any tips? 

Re: Running of the Brides

• I did it, and I loved it!  Got a $1500 dress for $250, and all I had to do was have it hemmed (I am short and wore flats).  
    Tips: bring friends - I would say at least 3.  Discuss roles before hand - someone will want to stake out a spot for you, while the others grab dresses.  
    Just grab EVERYTHING - there is not time to look and choose; once you have your stash you can trade for what you actually want.
    Don't wear makeup (it'll get on the dress), and wear something you'll be comfortable trying a dress on over in front of people - I had a sports bra and leggings, but some girls were in the undies and it was not pretty - I mean, dads come to this, come on!
    I would say don't bring a bunch of stuff - people had chairs, mirrors, all kinds of junk, and it's too much to deal with/you might lose it.
    This is a great way to find your dress if A) you are fairly open about what you want, because the chances of finding an exact dress by a certain designer is slim, and B) if you are fairly average-sized to more curvy; I'm pretty normal-sized, I would say, and saw plenty of dresses my size or too big for me, but really petite girls seemed to be struggling to find anything.
    Final tip: they have people there from alterations shops to look at the dress and tell you whether it can be altered or repaired or cleaned - the dresses are as is, so if you buy one for $250 and then have to spend a ton to make it fit, its not that great a deal.  I also happened to have a friend with me who sews alot, and she was able to look at the zipper, seems, etc., and make sure everything was ok.

I went just thinking it would be a fun experience and that not in a million years would I buy something, but I had my dream dress in under an hour.  Let me know if you have more questions!
    imageimage
  • I want to do this so bad!!!  I think it would be a really cool experience
  • I went to the NYC event last month and had a blast!! I actually went by myself and spent a good 8 hours (yea, I know!) looking around and getting frustrated but knew that I would find something eventually. I ended up getting two dresses! They were each $250 and online they're priced at $2500 each!! If you google it, you can find other events for the rest of the year, I think the one in Boston happens twice a year and every other city is just once. Even if you go alone and have an open mind, its a lot of fun!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards