Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Stocking the bar: Wine?

We are stocking our own bar, but aren't sure how many different varieties of wine we need to provide.  Do we need to get a little bit of everything or offer a few different things (two whites and two reds for example)?  If it's limited, which ones should we definitely have?

Also, the wedding is outdoors in August. It is a dinner reception with garlic herb chicken and beef tips over rice as the entrees.  I realize that might be important.

Re: Stocking the bar: Wine?

• edited December 2011
    I'd simplify and do one great red and one great white.
    Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto PP!  I would go for a couple great (aka, versatile and tasty) varieties rather than a bunch of different kinds.  Good luck! I am sure it will be great.
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We provided one red and one white.  After we made our selection for dinner we chose wines that would go with it.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One red and one white are fine. Fuzion wine from Argentina is inexpensive and quite good.
  • peanutty2peanutty2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'd also do a pink/blush too.  We are doing 1 red, 1 white, 1 blush.  Something like  a white zinfandel.  It's nice and light for a summer wedding and great for people who are not really into wines.
  • edited December 2011
    I think two of each should be plenty.

The problem with having too many choices is that you don't know which will be popular and you may run out of one wine really fast, and have tons of the other ones left over. Also, it probably slows the bartender down to continually have people asking about all of the choices. 
  • edited December 2011
    Two of each should be just fine.
  • edited December 2011
    I'd do maximum 2 whites and 2 reds, but it depends on your crowd. Are they wine drinkers? Are you providing any other sort of alcohol?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Most bartenders will tell you that a smaller selection is preferred both for your budget (you can buy in bulk) and to keep the bar line moving. We're having two whites and one red. I think one white and one red would be fine, but I wouldn't do more than 2 of each. You can google what type of wines go well with your menu. I would go with Chardonnay and Merlot.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards