Jewish Weddings

Cost of Reform Rabbi Officiant?

I was just quoted for $1200 - she said the average is about $1000 but she personalizes it much more than typical.Do any of you have any experience with this? It seems like a lot, but I have no idea at all what is relative.Thanks in advance!

Re: Cost of Reform Rabbi Officiant?

• edited December 2011
    I'm looking for a rabbi, too. We're getting married on the Connecticut shoreline. I just talked to an Orthodox rabbi, who wouldn't do my wedding since we are interfaith. But I wanted to ask him what he thought I should look for in a rabbi, anyway, since he's a rabbi and he wouldn't be making anything off of me for his opinions. He agreed to pass some advice along to me over the course of our 45 minute conversation. I'll share his advice: How many times does the rabbi meet with you for his or her fee? He'd hope as many times as you want. Does the rabbi make house calls? Rabbis who take their vocations seriously make house calls, without additional charges. They visit when you are sick, when you have family troubles, will meet your folks and your relatives and extend themselves when others turn away. And, most importantly, they don't care whether the people they are meeting are Jewish or not. Does the rabbi provide the spiritual services you expect a rabbi to provide, or is the rabbi just a performer? Judaism has some expectations that transcend appearances, things that are of concern to one's spiritual health and one's progress towards God. How much is the rabbi concerned about that, or is he or she just concerned with creating a ceremony and that's it. A rabbi should be extending to anyone who is searching for God, whether or not they are Jewish. These are the types of things I'm learning about now, as I interview and talk to different rabbis, and people involved in planning weddings. I hope this helps. Em
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards