Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Need to vent about a bridal shower

OK, so here's the situation. My MOH has been unbelievably busy lately, and that is totally fine by me. I don't expect any help with favors and all of that noise. My future mother in law kept asking me what the plans were for my shower. I told her that I wasn't positive, my MOH and I were still playing phone tag, but that I was sure it would be fine. This went on for a couple of weeks. Then my future mother in law tells me to let my MOH know that if she needs any help, please feel free to ask. I let my MOH know this and she tells me that it would definitely be a help, she would greatly appreciate it, it would help ease her mind a little on the finances of it. (her significant other was out of work for a month and she has three kids, so yeah, finances are a bit tight right now) I'm thinking this is fantastic, my mother in law is trying to help my best friend and, while it's not traditional, everything seems to be hunky dory. That was last week. Today I get a phone call from my future mother in law. Since my MOH is not moving fast enough, she and two other people are going to go ahead and plan it and "Oh, we can put MOHs name on it too I guess". Now I know that she has been busy, but she is one of those people that just make it happen when it needs to happen. She and I were meeting this week to discuss things and for me to give her a list of addresses of people that would like to come and that I would enjoy spending an afternoon with. Not only has my fiances Mom stopped helping and just staged a hostile takeover, she is planning on doing this on a Friday night. Well that would be all fine and good if my bridesmaid, my mother, my aunts and my cousins could attend on a Friday, but they can't. This is why I told her WEEKS ago that it was going to be on a Sunday afternoon. Her answer to me was "Well BM can come when she gets off of work. She doesn't have to be there for the very beginning." Nevermind the rest of the people I guess, huh? So now I have a MOH that is counting on the financial help of my fiances Mom because she offered it, and fiances Mom staging a takeover instead of "helping" like she offered. When she called me today she told me that she needs my list of addresses so that she and these other two people can get the inviations taken care of. I'm thinking that my best option right now is to just let my fiance's Mom have her own freakin' shower and have a seperate one for my family and friends, but then that takes away the help that the MOH was counting on because it was offered. UGHHHHHHHHHHHH Here I've been going on and on forever about how wonderful my future mother in law is, and now she does this. That doesn't make her any less of a wonderful person, but how can you just toss aside my best friend because she isn't doing things how YOU want them done?? She told me that "they researched it" and I have to have my shower at least 6 weeks beforehand and therefore we need to get invites out NOW. Every website that I looked at after that phone call says you can have it anywhere from 6 months to one week from the wedding, so that's a load of crap too. I think I am just going to go with the two showers route. That would leave about 10 people going to the one that my fiances Mom is planning (unless she invites a bunch of people that I probably don't want there anyway) and about 25 at my MOHs shower that she can't really afford to throw. I think I'm just going to tell her that we can go to a park, get some veggies and a cooler of water and soda and socialize for the afternoon. I'm perfectly happy with that! That way it won't cost hardly anything and my MOH still gets to have the shower that she wants to have without it being run over by someone that offered to help. Thanks for letting me rant. :-)

Re: Need to vent about a bridal shower

• Options
    aortiz59aortiz59 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I totally feel your pain! I had a very similar thing happen only with my FMIL and my Mom. Mom wanted to throw me a shower as a gift since my MOH and a few of my bridesmaids were out of town and very busy. FMIL has no concept of boundaries and booked a caterer, centerpieces, linens, and a cake.... even though she wasn't paying for ANY of that. Huge drama, awful.Glad to hear that it worked out in the end. A fun, relaxing afternoon in the park sounds amazing :)
  • Options
    dianenjnjdianenjnj member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'm wondering if you have a mother or aunt or sister or cousin, someone on your side of the family?  if not, then i think your fmil is just trying to make sure you have a nice shower.  if i'm off base, and you have a mom and other relatives that are on your side...where are they in all of this?in any case, you, as the bride, shouldn't be involved with planning your own shower.  let the chips fall as they may.  just appreciate the people that you have that are trying to help.
  • Options
    shawna77inilshawna77inil member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just a quick reply, cause I have to get running to work. Yes, my MOH asked me if I would like a shower.  I told her absolutely!  Then her significant other lost his job, which is what caused the money woes.  My FMIL simply believed that the MOH wasn't doing enough or doing it fast enough.  I didn't have specific details and that simply wasn't acceptable.  I talked to my MOH last night about everything and she simply told me, as I already knew, that it would be taken care of.  She has two places already held until she found out exactly which I thought would be better for the people that would be invited, which was going to happen tonight because she is coming to my house to get addresses and just hang out for a little while.  She told me that it wasn't something for me to worry about, so she didn't feel it necessary to bother me about the "venues" until she picked up the addresses.  I NEVER should have let my FMIL get her hands in it, but when she offered to help I thought it sounded like a great idea!  Live and learn, live and learn.  LoL  I'll go into more detail later, but thanks for the advice!  I knew you guys would understand! :-)   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards