Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Second Lines (a bit of a rant)

So one thing I've noticed is that all (or at least the majority) of brides who want to do second lines at their weddings are destination brides. Do you gals realize that second lines are traditionally held for a funeral? Are there any local brides who have done second lines? Yes, I've seen it done, and yes it's really festive, but I find it inappropriate.

Maybe I'm just a cranky coon ass. :)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Visit NewOrleans.Weddings.com

Nov '12 September Siggy - Bridesmaids!
bridesmaids-2
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Second Lines (a bit of a rant)

• Options
    TurWalkTurWalk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Second lines originated at funeral processions, but now are done at all kind of events including weddings. I'm a destination bride who lived in New Orleans for several years and every New Orleans wedding I ever attended had a second line. The first thing my New Orleans native friends asked after I got engaged was "Have you booked a band for your second line?"
  • Options
    phunluvin82phunluvin82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I disagree that a second line is inappropriate for a wedding.  Even though the second line came out of the jazz funeral tradition, it has been a long time since second lines were used exclusively in funerals.  Second lines come from the existence of the Social Aid and Pleasure Clubs which used to help people pay for the funerals of their loved ones in the days before African Americans were allowed to purchase life insurance.  Therefore, the Clubs used to have parades not only for funerals, but also for neighborhood celebrations in order to try to attract more members to their club, since more members meant more money in the pot.  Second lines are now a part of everything from neighborhood celebrations, to festivals, etc. 

I have only been living in New Orleans for 5 years, but I work at a high school where I am one of the only people (including staff or students) who are not born and raised New Orleanians.  My co-workers and students love to have a second line for just about anything...we had one for the funeral of a staff member, but we also had one for homecoming, one for the end of the school year, etc.  I also considered not having a second line for my wedding (because of time and logistics, not because I was worried about appropriateness) and any of my coworkers that I mentioned it to all unanimously felt that I could not have my wedding without a second line!
  • Options
    lbmsrlotrlbmsrlotr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aren't the second lines at funerals done as a "celebration" to honor the life of the dearly departed? A second line is a celebratory dance regardless of the occasion. Were it not a New Orleans tradition & part of our culture, I would find it inappropriate for funerals. Wink
  • Options
    cm10/10cm10/10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've lived here my whole life.  Every wedding I've ever been too in New Orleans has had a second line.  I know it orginated with funerals, but I have never seen it at one though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

ditto cm10/10. I have lived in NOLA my whole life too and just moved to DC 6 months ago. I have never been to a wedding without a second line. In fact, i have never gone to anything in the city without a second line to celebrate the occasion. Funerals included.  Its all of what you want in your weddingSmile 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Kate504Kate504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Every New Orleans wedding that I have been to has had some kind of second line, maybe not a fancy one down the street, but one still the same.

I plan on having one from the church to the reception venue.

I see it as a celebration not as something that is done in a time of mourning.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    cranky coon ass?... are you from Nola.. or an actualy coonass from the Bayou, like me?.. lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_second-lines-bit-of-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:84Discussion:a2bb1f58-15b0-44d6-9654-f40fa0730e83Post:7fce8cc6-667c-447a-9066-f2418f49ebc2">Re: Second Lines (a bit of a rant)</a>:
    [QUOTE]cranky coon ass?... are you from Nola.. or an actualy coonass from the Bayou, like me?.. lol
    Posted by Rdh2MrsOMFS[/QUOTE]

I'm a born Westbanker, but my paw paw is coon ass to the bone, and he was a big part of my life growing up. :)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Visit NewOrleans.Weddings.com

Nov '12 September Siggy - Bridesmaids!
    bridesmaids-2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    bmfraziebmfrazie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am NOLA native that moved away 3 years ago.  I have never been to a NOLA wedding without a second line.  It is one of the must have items for my wedding. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards