Honeymoon Discussions

name change/honeymoon/new job (long)

Timeline: wedding is 8/8 (yay!), new job starts 8/17 (yay!!), trip to Germany is 9/10 (yay!!!).I'm trying to figure out what to do about my last name, passport, and work documents.  I know for sure that the last name on the plane tickets needs to match my passport/ID.  Those are both currently in my maiden name.My issue is that with a new job, I'd really like to start using the new last name from the get-go (for the email, business cards, direct deposit, etc.etc.).  Do you think it's possible to change my SS# and drivers license and bank account info to the new last name, but keep the passport in my maiden name until after the trip to Germany?My mom seems to think it will be okay if I bring a duplicate copy of my birth certificate, a copy of the marriage license, my drivers license and my passport. 

Re: name change/honeymoon/new job (long)

• I would book your honeymoon in your maiden name and keep your passport as is until after the honeymoon. As far as your job, I do not think it would be an issue with using your new name even though you might not have the time to get everything official yet.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • it will take a few weeks to get your official marriage license back-and you can't change anything without it.since SS, bank, drivers license and passport are NOT linked you can submit your paperwork to change the first 3 and leave the passport until you come back. your last paragraph confuses me. bring all of the items to where? if you're asking about at your new office-you'll have the receipt for changing your license (if you get the marriage cert right away). if not-you'll just have to leave it. you can have them imput your email name however you'd like-they will be able to put your new last name on email and business cards without bringing all of the paperwork. as for the bank-your account # won't change. just ask your bank how to work it. since there's only 11 days after your wedding-just hold off on direct desposit until all of your paperwork is in and then sign up for it.

• Go ahead and use the new name at your work.  You probably won't be able to change your license and SS before you start, but you can talk to HR about it and have them use your married name for your email, business cards, etc.  You'll probably have to do your tax forms and official things in your maiden name until you can get your SS changed, but HR can handle that with you.For the trip, you probably won't have time to get your new passport in a month, so I would recommend waiting until afterwards to change you passport.
  • hrchichrchic member
    First Comment
    FYI - Your name on payroll cannot be changed until you show your new social security card.
  • ss card,license and bank account can not be changed with out the marriage license (at least not in PA). Any payroll stuff (insurance,401 (k) and pay check also may not be changed with out proper proof of new surname (yes, I'm in HR). You can however use your new last name on business cards,email and any non legal documents prior to the legal name change. As for passport, keep it in maiden and book hm reservations in maiden (plane ticket and passport must match). As far as I know you do not even need your license to fly as long as you have a passport. Last year for our hm in st. lucia and this yr for our anniversary in jamaica we were never asked to show our license just passport.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards