Not Engaged Yet

Hello all

Well I've posted on other boards but not this one yet. Just thought I would say hello to everyone. I've recently got some what attacked for asking about wedding stuff and not having the ring yet so I thought I'd stick to this board for a while. We are getting engaged soon so I was trying to figure out how much to save for a wedding cause we will be paying for it ourselves. I got a lot of why are you planning when you're not engaged yet comments. We had started ring shopping and talking about marriage when my boyfriend's sister got engaged. They actually just got married this past Sunday even though they've only been dating since after Christmas. Any who so he wants to make the engagement special for both of us by doing a trip of some sort only I'm not sure when the time for that is going to magically appear. Any who I had meant to just introduce myself and got a bit off topic there. My name is Shelly and I will be turning 27 in August. I live in Michigan but would love to move some where with a better economy and preferably a movie industry. My boyfriend does lighting for movies and though they keep saying the movie industry is coming to Michigan there are still only a few jobs a year for him here. We have a Golden Retriever named Stewie who is a year old. He's our furry child since we don't have kids yet, maybe someday. Well I feel like I'm just rambling about nothing lol, so I'll end it and just say hello to everyone, Shelly

Re: Hello all

• edited December 2011
    welcome!I see that you posted one of your threads on P&E - they can be a bit harsh but are honest and give good advice and it looks like they did (I just skimmed through)You might try posting on your local board because costs can vary greatly from one place to the next. I would have spent 3x as much if I had decided to get married where I live currently rather than my fiance's home town. If you are still looking at doing the big wedding there are a lot of places you can trim costs and your locals can tell you where to find the deals.Just grow a thick skin and you'll be fine around here ; )
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Bad_BearBad_Bear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    P&E can be very blunt sometimes.  But I will say that I just read that thread, and no one there was actually very snarky with you.  Only 2 or 3 people made comments about you not being engaged, and the rest gave good advice. You got off almost scott-free.  Trust me.My own advice for that is if you are okay with not having a party at all, just elope with you and your BF.  It sounds like your families are just too drama filled to make it through a wedding with your sanity intact. GL!
  • myother1myother1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Some people have super-long engagements so they can save for their weddings.  Some start saving before they're engaged.  But most people who are paying themselves (and don't make massive amounts of money) must have a considerable amount of time to save.In my book, it's neither here nor there.  Saving money is great, and if the world collapses and the relationship implodes and you never get engaged, the cash is still sitting in the bank.   It is NOT like running out and buying your gown (although you'd be amazed how many wedding dresses are listed on Criagslist as "never worn" - it makes one wonder).Welcome and good luck!
  • myother1myother1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that my response may have been completely irrelevant.It may be time for a glass of wine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards