Not Engaged Yet

What is your preference?

Morning ladies- the engagement ring I chose ended up being a solitaire. I decided this back in October though so I’ve had time to sit with my decision. It has some uniqueness to it which I love but I went from my original choice of baguettes then to pave and then fell in love with the setting I chose- what a drastic difference! I do love pave and I do love side diamonds but I think I made the best decision because I find myself to be a classic girl and I change my mind about things very quickly. I can pick any band I want which is also good. Solitaire vs. sides tones what’s everyone’s preference and if you already engaged what did you pick??

Re: What is your preference?

• GrEenEyEs1113GrEenEyEs1113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ps now i just cant wait to get it to show you ;) LOL
  • edited December 2011
    I ended up with 3 princess cut stones, and 3 small round channel set diamonds on either side (PIB).  I wasn't a huge fan of the solitaire, but entirely besides that, I work in a lab.  I use gloves all the time and would rip right through them with a high setting. 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not a fan of the plain solitaire rings myself. My ring has side stones (PIB and in siggy) and it suits me pretty well. I always thought that solitaire's were just so plain and they just really weren't my style.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • lineallowsforlineallowsfor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here were my top 2 choices:http://ihatestevensingeronline.com/detail.aspx?ID=180http://ihatestevensingeronline.com/detail.aspx?ID=86John picked #2.  I can't wait to get it, I peeked at it and it's so beautiful.
  • edited December 2011
    the ring i picked is a solitaire in a simple yellow gold band...i like just the one diamond in my engagement ring, but i do plan on having some decoration when i pick a wedding band to add a little flair.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't like channel or pave settings, and I don't like the look of baguettes.  My FI is not a fan of solitaires.  Luckily, we both fell in love with three stone rings, and after that I left the choice up to him.  He got me a three-stone ring with round cut diamonds.  I think it's perfect!
  • magsugar13magsugar13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a channel setting...the center stone is a solitare, and the  stones ion the channel are sapphirs. I prefer side stones.
    Spring Break 2013
  • salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Round brilliant cut solitaire. Simple white gold setting. I don' t think I could care any less about jewelry and never wear rings, so I wanted something simple, small and classy.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • hisgoldeneyeshisgoldeneyes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL my two choices are also exactly like Lineallows links. I never heard of that site but those were similar enough to what I showed BF I wanted. I like that it has almost a antique feel to it. =) I can't wait =)
  • Ashleigh8Ashleigh8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wanted something simple and classy as well.... I chose an Emerald Cut Solitaire in white gold :) 0.5 - .75 Carat.   It's up to the FFI on the carat size....I'll get it one day... sigh .... :-D
  • edited December 2011
    We went ring shopping together.  I wanted either a simple solitaire or one with side stones and very little metal showing.  I had 2 top contenders, when FI saw 'my' ring.  I tried it on and didn't want to take it off.  The sidestones are 'petite prong set,' so they are a bit sturdier than pave. PIB
  • edited December 2011
    Mine is a sloitare. I originally wanted a setting with very small pave diamonds but when I fianlly found what I was looking for I almost fell over when I saw the price, this setting was alomst his whole budget, and that was with no center diamond! I didn't want him to spend that much and it was more important to us to have a clean, beautiful daimond than a fancy setting, and I love solitares too. So by deciding to go solitare I got over a carat, rather than .75, so it worked out great!
    siggya>
  • edited December 2011
    My grandmother's ring from 1941.  If I was choosing a new ring I'd probably go for solitaire because I like the simple, clean look.  But I fell in love with this one when it was offered to me, and it's what I'm going to use. Main stone is between 1/4 and 1/2 carat, 3 small chips in the filigree on either side.  Love it. [IMG]<a href="http://i26.tinypic.com/2lcr89g.jpg" rel='nofollow'>http://i26.tinypic.com/2lcr89g.jpg</a>[/IMG]
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • edited December 2011
    When I first started looking at rings, I wanted a 3-stone with channel set diamonds in the band. When I actually went and tried on rings, I realized that the simple solitaire with the plain gold band suited me better. Plus, the lure of choosing any wedding band I wanted and knowing it would match, made me choose the solitaire. FI wanted a traditional gold band as his wedding ring and I also ended up with a plain gold band. I'm working on FI to get me a thin diamond band to wear with them as a gift one day =P
  • edited December 2011
    I've never been a fan of solitaires. Maybe I'll change my mind when I actually start looking. There's something that feels almost stark about them to me, don't ask me why though.
    He pretty much had me at "hello".
    -- PS I agree with whatever Jeana said --
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not into solitaires. My cousin has one and although it is beautiful, every time I see it I'm more sure that I wouldn't want one.  When BF and I went e-ring shopping, I decided I would really like a round center stone with smaller round stones down the side.  I don't like channel settings, or anything pave or antique-looking.  Oh, and I'm a yellow gold girl (I know, we are rare!)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in between. I like how with solitaires you can get a cool enhancer as a wedding band but I also like the look of a center diamond with other diamonds channel-set in the band. I'm not engaged yet but I hope I can go look at rings with my bf sometime so I can decided which one looks better on my me. I would also want something set pretty low becaue I have a small silver ring I always wear and it snags on stuff sometimes so I would feel more secure with a lower setting.
  • fletch102483fletch102483 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We discussed getting married but had not gone ring shopping since I had no idea what I wanted so the ring wasn't exciting to me. Then we went to a gem show that was primarily loose pearls, stones, metals, etc. But one vendor had actual jewelry and the second I saw it I knew! Its a canary diamond with a halo of white diamonds. And now the wait...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards