South Asian Weddings
Options

Indian desserts - help!

We've ordered the following items for our dessert buffet and I'd like to have brief descriptions alongside them so that people have some idea of what they are. Can you guys help me?FI isn't the most helpful - "Just say 'milk based paste'". Yeah, real elegant.Thanks!Ras madhuriKaju katliBadam pista rollMini gulab jamun
Baby Birthday Ticker
Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w

Re: Indian desserts - help!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry I can't help with the description, but what I did for our menus is look up the caterer's menu online and copy the food descriptions from there.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't give a great description but here are the basic ingredients.Kaju katli-cashews, sugar, cardamom, unsalted butterBadam pista roll-almond, pistachio, sugar, saffron, cardomomGulab jamun-dough soaked in a sugar syrup and saffron
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know you can look up the recipes online so you can get a basic idea of what is in each one. I do that a lot for Sri Lankan reciepes (Because im not indian I just know the sweets by what they look like and not the name...) I'm usually all "oh I'll take the white square with the silver and the ball covered in a sugary syrup!"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    it is Ras Malai? not sure what a Ras Madhuri is?Kaju Katri?I love ras malai, but the description is odd, almost would make you not try it but its delicious! I think its like sweet cheese balls in sweetened milkI would call the Kaju Katri a cashew roll or square or whatever shape it itBadam Pista roll : Sweet almond pistachio rollmili gulab jamun is fried doughnuts in a rose sugar syrup
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ras madhuri is perhaps somewhat unique to this shop... ras malai outside with a burfee center. Fabulous.Thanks for your help!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards