Not Engaged Yet

Horse People

So a friend sent me this add on Craigslist. http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/grd/1288197661.htmlHas anyone ever heard of measuring a horse butt high?? I worked in a Hanoverian breeding program and even the foals were measured at wither height, but I was wondering if this is a standard anywhere else. It also bugs me that she is $8000 and built downhill. I know she is still growing, but imho that is just poor conformation. To me, it looks like they are charging that much because she has grullo coat color.

Re: Horse People

• J&K10910J&K10910 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never heard of that.  In addition, in the picture with the rider on her, the rider looks awful.  Why would you post that?

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Lilika FlowerLilika Flower member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have never heard of that. I grew up in Amish country and my parents raise Icelandics and their friends quarterhorses. Odd posting...
  • edited December 2011
    At no time do you measure a horse at the rear to determine height. That is just ridiculous. IMO, this horse has very poor conformation, and is not worth the asking price. She may have an outstanding tempermant and may be a jewel in terms of under saddle, but still not worth the price. You are correct, she is downhill drastically. It could be that they think they can get that price based on her color, but if that is the case, they are in for a rude wake-up call. They will not get that dollar amount.Most especially in this economy. Horse sales have plummented since last year, and people are giving sound good horses away because they can't afford to feed them. No one in thier right mind would pay that much for this horse.
  • edited December 2011
    Also, the horse in my siggy was a show horse and dropped a gorgeous foal which is quite successful in show as well. We paid 4500. two years ago for her, and even though she has been on the western show circuit, and can move like a dressage horse, AND ios outstanding on the trail, in this market, I would be lucky to get 2000. for her if I tried to sell her.
  • tidetraveltidetravel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, they're measuring at the butt to compensate for the fact that she's probably only 13/14 hands tops at the withers.  Like they're trying to say (see, her butt's this high - the rest will catch up)Hopefully she'll grow out of her awkwardness a little, but, her front legs are shorter than her back, and always will be.  This will cause problems for her in the back end, later in life, as she tries to compensate for her poor confirmation.  Looks like you would slide right down her neck if she pulled too hard. 
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Thank goodness I am glad I am not the only one to see how sketchy this ad is for the mare.  After going to their website and looking at a few more pictures she is also knife-necked and base wide in the front.  I completely missed the part where you can get her for a discount if you mate her to their grullo stallion.  Hmm she can't be a high level performer with her poor conformation....let's breed her! I would never recommend this farm to anyone.   [IMG]<a href="http://i31.tinypic.com/zjxqmp.jpg" rel='nofollow'>http://i31.tinypic.com/zjxqmp.jpg</a>[/IMG]
  • edited December 2011
    For the record though, I do hope she finds a good home with a loving family. 
  • edited December 2011
    1)  I never knew there were so many horse people browsing the NEY board. 2)  You're right about the mare.  All pps are correct. 3)  I also hope she finds a good home.  Maybe one that cleans the poop out of the background before taking a picture of her.  :/
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • edited December 2011
    The only time I've ever seen the butt height used is with a very young horse (usually "yearling uglies" age) that will very likely grow to be uphill or even.  This is a three year old.  Not so likely that she will even out.And yes, price is 100% for color.  And the fact that they don't have any classic conformation shots without tack...yeah, very not worth 8 grand.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards