Not Engaged Yet
Options

Hearkening back to my first post...

My first post on TK was a request for advice: my then-BF and I were looking at engagement rings, but my parents had given us a large (over 14 carats) natural yellow sapphire.  It was an investment stone, which meant a couple of things.  One: My parents were poor/strange investors.  Two: it was badly cut and had never been set into jewelry. My dilemma was: use the swanky, big stone - which would have to be re-cut and custom-set - or go with a traditional, more modest, diamond ring.  Same price.Overwhelmingly, you said go with the diamond.In the end, you made a good call.  After wearing my diamond engagement ring for a couple of weeks, I have realized that the sapphire was much too large to be practical.  Here's a comparison picture, with my engagement ring and the sapphire:[img]http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss60/myother1/IMG_0081.jpg[/img]Go Knotties.

Re: Hearkening back to my first post...

• Options
    Lilika FlowerLilika Flower member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh wow. thats a huge difference.
  • Options
    PandaBurrPandaBurr member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Holy crap, I would not want that on my finger, haha. I don't imagine you could do much else than a pendant with it.
  • Options
    myother1myother1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're keeping the stone for now -- honestly, I like the thought of making it into an heirloom piece.  A cocktail ring, maybe?  Maybe in several years?  Hehe.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ah yeah, a cocktail ring would work too. I dunno about you, but my boyfriend put a temporary ban on new jewelry since we paid off the engagement ring. I'm not sure how long the ban is, but eh, it was worth it. ;)
  • Options
    myother1myother1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my boyfriend put a temporary ban on new jewelry since we paid off the engagement ringYeah.  We have a ban on (most) new everything until the entire wedding budget is safely in the bank.  I'm more of a money freak than he is, though, so I'm the one scrutinizing purchases.  "Babe, do you REALLY need another football video game?"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haha, yeah, that's true. It's a ban on most everything, especially jewelry. I'm not gonna lie though, I'm terrible with money management, so that's up to him.
  • Options
    tbh33tbh33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought about having it set for a necklace.  It could be really pretty, and then later you could possibly get a ring to match.  Just a few more ideas for you to think about.  But I definitely agree the diamond was the better idea.  The sapphire would have definitely looked more like costume jewelry than an engagement ring.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    holy moley that is one huge stone!definitely the right choice going with the diamond because using the sapphire would have looked a little ridiculous as an engagement ring - I like the cocktail ring idea though!btw - you're ring is gorgeous!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    that should be your not you're  the knot really needs an edit button
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    whoa that's a big asss stone, you def made the right choice going with the diamond.  your ring is beautiful and now u dont have to worry about sinking to the bottom of the pool/ocean floor/bathtub from the extra weight!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow...when you first posted I had no clue the actual SIZE of that sapphire.  It's really pretty, but huge!  The diamond was a much better choice.  :)I agree with pp.  Once the ban is lifted, I'd have it polished and set as a pendant.  It would be too big even for a cocktail ring for my liking, but I think it'd make a gorgeous necklace.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Both your ring and the sapphire are gorgeous. I'd suggest having the sapphire made into a pendant rather than a ring. You'll probably get more use out of it that way, and if you say the cut isn't great, it will be less noticable in a necklace.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with some pp's, get the sapphire made into a pendant. That would be a monster, even as a cocktail ring. But you definitely made the right choice going with the diamond.
    He pretty much had me at "hello".
    -- PS I agree with whatever Jeana said --
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards