Chit Chat
Options

just need to vent!

hi i am here just to vent..i just want to thank you all for taking the time to read!!! so its 75 days until my wedding and i just got laid off!! i am so depressed and i am trying to find a job ASAP..does anyone have any advice on how to keep calm because all i am doing is crying and stressing ? thank you so much

Re: just need to vent!

• Options
    I'm sorry to hear that you have been laid off. Are you eligible for unemployment benefits? I can relate to how you feel because I was also laid off a couple of months ago. What is the source of your stress? Is it that you depended on your income for wedding expenses on top of your daily living expenses? It is hard especially since it happened really close to your wedding day. Try to stay calm and know that, as cliche as it is (and its true!) when one door closes...another opens.
  • Options
    I don't have much advice except, I believe God doesn't give you more than you can handle. Even if you need to take a crappy job for a little while, you will be okay. I will keep you in my thoughts. Good luck
  • Options
    That really sucks.  Take a hard look at your financial situation and decide what is really important right now.  The economy sucks - living should be your number 1 priority.  If you think you will have a hard time paying for the rest of the wedding expenses, there is still time to scale back.  At 75 days, you probably haven't sent out invites yet.  Food and alcohol cost the most in a wedding, so think about reducing your guest count.  If there is anything that you can do without, haven't made a deposit on, or can get your money back for, consider that.  Come check out the Budget Brides board for ideas on saving money.  The important thing to remember is that at the end of your wedding day, you will be married.  To get married you only TRULY need an officiant, your groom and a few witnesses.  The rest is just fluff.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Bless your heart! I am so sorry. This is not at all the right time for this to happen to you. Is your company offering any sort of outplacement assistance? If so, they can be great resources. If not, there is some great info on the web regarding building a resume, networking, etc. I've also seen church groups for recently displaced individuals.
  • Options
    That's really rubbish for you : (Exercise is a great way to focus the mind and it releases endorphines to make you happier.  Try to exercise each morning before you sit down to do anything.Focus your efforts first and foremost on looking for another job, make sure your resume (CV) is up to date and presented professionally, and really reflects what you can bring to their company.  Don't be scared to go in to a company and request a meeting with their HR department, people are far more likely to remember you if they've met you face to face.Research interview techniques and questions so that when those interviews do start coming through you are 100% ready for them and are going to give the best account of yourself.Keep Smiling, it will all come good x
  • Options
    Hugs!!! Sorry that is the worst.  I will keep you in my prayers.  You should be able to get unemployment hopefully it will work out just think you have more time to work on wedding stuff while looking for a job. 
  • Options
    thank you all for your kind words and advice! its nice to know there are still people out there who are willing to listen instead of judge!! i hopefully will be recieving unemployment! thank god and my family has ofered to help which is a great relief! it is very hard as well cause i have 3 children and thats an expense in itself! so i am trying to make the best of everything ! thank you all
  • Options
    dojo1dojo1 member
    First Comment
    You are clearly in an awful situation that totally sucks.  If you want to cry, by all means let it out!! I will say though, when I feel like things are stressing me out I sit down and make a plan to get some control back in my life. You can't force someone to employ you, but there is plenty to can do to get back in the job market.  Give yourself deadlines and stick to them!For instance you can say "Today I'm going to make a list of all the experience I have gained from my last job and then I'm going to re-tool my resume / get together all the other documents I will need for an application package (transcripts, certificates, reference letters).""Tomorrow I will find no less than three places to send applications to.""Saturday I will start spreading the word that I'm looking for a new job to anyone who might have any connections at all. (Even though it may be embarrassing / hard to make cold calls.)." "Sunday I will write a completely re-tooled cover letter to each of my initial three applications and on Monday I will send out the packages."Having a plan and staying determined will help you focus less on the negative impact and more on your own sense of self-worth because you've accomplished the mini-goals you set for yourself. Good luck!
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    lorizaloriza member
    First Comment
    Being unemployed sucks.  As much as it's great to stay motivated and keep moving forward, give yourself permission to try and ENJOY it- at least for a week.  When's the last time you had a vacation?  Could the timing be better as far as the financial burden?  Absolutely.  But aside from that...sounds like you have three beautiful kids who are probably thrilled to have mom around for summer vacation, and that you're at the point in wedding planning where some open days could be helpful for vendor appointments or budget friendly DIY projects.  It sucks, it will get better.  Know that there are a lot of people in the same boat right now and no one is going to judge you for it.
    TTC since 8/2010 DH diagnosed Azoo 1/2012 Vas reconstructive surgery 4/2012 waiting...testing...more waiting...no improvement IVF #1 planned for 1/2013
  • Options
    oh honey, don't fret.  I lost my job 2 weeks before my wedding.  Yes, i freaked, i cried, i got so stressed, that i was sick:( not good. BUT, i embraced those feelings, felt them and then let them go and move on. Everything happens for a reason.  Yes, we have to pay for a lot of our wedding with our wedding gift loot, but, it freed up a lot of time, and yes, i found another job. which i dont start until after the wedding.  You need to stay positive and know that there is something better out there for you. because you deserve it!
  • Options
    You may want to contact some staffing agencies in your city.  My FI works for one and they are always looking for good workers.  They place people in temporary positions that can sometimes become permenant jobs.  They also do some permenant placement/head hunting for you depending on your skills and previous experience.  If nothing else they will review your resume and give you interview tips.  I know sometimes the temp agencies get a bad wrap but if you find a good company it can really be a life saver.  Best of luck!!
  • Options
    Ughh that is so awful! I am so sorry to hear that! I really don't have much advice, but I agree with one of the pp's.. everything happens for a reason and God always has a perfect plan. Hopefully this has opened up the doors for new and better things and you just don't know it yet. My FI was laid off in April was out of work for a month and a half and then landed a new job... was only there for 5 weeks when the new place decided to eliminate his position. Losing your job is hard no matter what, but losing your job in the midst of wedding planning is even worse. Sending vibes and well wishes your way! Try not to stress, everything always seems to work itself out in the end. :0)
  • Options
    Hugs and good wishes your way! I am sooo sorry to hear about your job loss. It totally sucks and I can totatlly understand stress. It is enough stress to prepare for the wedding and then to have the rug pulled out from under you... :(. Try to relax and think things through. do you have support from your family? Maybe even taking a job that you are over qualified for right now may be somewhat beneficial. Try to stay positive. Review your wedding budget (if that is now a BIG prob) and see where you can cut back.  I'm getting married in 71 days and all my invites have gone out already. I already have a ton of "yes" responses. It may be hard to cut back in come areas, but see what you can do! Best of luck to you! Keeping my fingers crossed!
  • Options
    I can relate. I am in sales and while last year I made a phenomenal amount of money this year I am barely making ends meet. It really put a HUGE burden on us as far as our wedding was concerned and I ended up charging a lot of the expenses. Wedding is over and now I am focused on paying down the debt. Try and stay calm. Money is money and it comes and it goes. Take long walks early in the AM when it's quiet out. Be thankful for all you have. Health, your fiance and your 3 children!! So many blessings right there!!! Good luck sweetie, I'll keep you in my prayers.
  • Options
    I am in the exact same position!! Our wedding is in October and I was laid off in June. It's so stressful so I completely know where your coming from. My advice - besides eating your favorite comfort food and getting a puppy is to take a deep breath and realize you have so much free time to do all the little things and big things we've got left to do before the big day. True your bank account is going to take a hit but you have your whole life to make money. You aren't unemployable and it's a tough market right now. You could contemplate going back to school or you could find a part-time job until the wedding and while you job hunt for full-time opportunities. You should also apply for unemployment from your state's workforce development office. Good Luck and remember everything happens for a reason.
  • Options
    My god, that's awful, but it's not the end of the world, I know the economy is shaky but maybe this could be an opportunity for you to find an even better job and wouldn't that be fabulous? You should definitely qualify for unemployment income if you were "laid off", find the appropriate authorities and hound them until you get what you need they're all overloaded with the rise in unemployment (although it's only a portion, usually 1/2, of what you made with your job). In the short term, take a step back and look at your life expenses for the moment, can you cut some things out if only until you get straight with work? Shut off the cable (who has time for it anyway?), cancel the cell phone plan and opt for prepaid so you only use minutes you can pay for, if you've got easy access to public internet (cafe or library) shut off the internet for now. You want to be able to allocate as much money to primary bills (mortgage/rent, etc) as possible and not take from the funds you've set aside for the wedding. As for calming down, have a couple glasses of wine, take a bath, and think of the possiblities coming your way (instead of the job in your past).
  • Options
    Chin up Bride! I know this must be incredibly stressful but perhaps by taking a step back and trying to calmly look at your options you'll find a solution. Maybe it's a good time to look at your spending habits and see where you can cut back a littel while still enjoying life. Eat out less and try new recipes at home with your hunny. Buy a bottle of wine and drink it al fresco in the parc instead of going out for drinks. Invite friends to stay in for classic movie nigh instead of going out to see the summer blockbusters. This way you can still ahve your summe fun without worrying so much about the money you;re spending. from there, jsut keep an open eye out and I'm sure they right job will come to you. Good luck and many belssings to you on your wedding day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards