Massachusetts-Boston

POLL: Bouquet toss?

-Are you doing it? Why/why not?-If so, when are you doing it?I am torn--I am really not in love with the idea and the whole thing, but the friends I've asked seem to want me to. I am the first of my primary group of friends and the first of my many cousins to get married (I'm 28). I kind of think they're annoying and slow down the party--but I don't know. I also feel like it would be sort of fun.Yeah, I'm all over the place, ha.

Re: POLL: Bouquet toss?

• edited December 2011
    I am... we're not doing the garter so I think the bouquet is nice to have. But we are also getting a free tosser bouquet from the florist. If we weren't I'd probably re-think the toss.  
  • edited December 2011
    I probably will, but not the garter toss.  My friends are all single too, and I want to aim it at one specific BM :)
  • Scarlet856Scarlet856 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi there Gardenbryd,We're not doing it. I'm just not a fan and have been horrified to have the garter put on my leg at too many receptions over the years to inflict such pain upon anyone!
  • edited December 2011
    This was never a big priority for me and I am reallllly against the whole garter thing to go with it. However, I think it can be cute if you have the right crowd. We didn't do it merely because I pretty much forgot to do it but later my friends were all disappointed I didn't do it. Almost every one at the wedding was young and single (or with boyfriends) so it would have been the perfect wedding crowd to do it.That being said, I think it miiight slow down the party but if you have people who are into the whole thing it might actually be a funny memory. I vote you do it.
  • edited December 2011
    I feel like a lot of girls on this board are not fans, but we did it and here's why: We're 23, we're the first of our friends to get married, our friends are wild and crazy and we knew they would love the entire bouquet/garter thing and totally ham it up. it happened during during the dancing and did not halt the party at all. The entire process (bouquet toss, garter removal, garter toss, garter..replacement?) took like 5 minutes and it was so so funny. However, I can clearly see that if your friends weren't into it and were not a goofy crazy crowd like ours, or if there were very few of them, it would be weird and tacky. Don't do anything you don't want to do. While it was very funny, I doubt it was like the highlight of the wedding for anyone. No one will miss it. Also...every gay man at the wedding...and there were a lot....participated in the bouquet toss. Priceless.
  • edited December 2011
    wow i am amazed that in the time if took me to type that, 4 people responded. you ladies are ON IT!
  • edited December 2011
    Also...every gay man at the wedding...and there were a lot....participated in the bouquet toss. Priceless. hahahahha. this is fantastic!!
  • edited December 2011
    I never wanted to do it - but my mom really does - and we're the first in both our group of friends to get married so I'm pretty sure the girls will appreciate it - so its on there.  But no garter toss!  I think FI is actually bummed about that but whatever.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think we are doing either.  My FI hates both ideas. lol  He doesn't want to torture our guests and there will only be a few unmarried couples there, anyway.  I remember one time I went to a wedding and there was a bouquet toss.  A girl caught it and she was soooo happy, jumping up and down and running back to her bf.  However, her bf looked terrified and upset.  All eyes were on them but they ended up having a fit in front of everyone anyway and if I remember correctly, the girl ran away crying.  I guess the bf didn't share her excitement about her catching the bouquet.  lol
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We did not.  I just wasn't interested.  I have nothing against it and have not minded it at any wedding I have ever been to (but glad I don't have to anymore!). 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Not doing the bouquet or garter toss. I'm the last of my friends to get married and besides my sister, I have maybe 2 or 3 single friends and I don't want to do a bouquet toss to 3 people. lol  (We're going to do an anniversary dance instead as a way to give away my toss bouquet.) As for the garter toss... there isn't anything even comparable in Indian weddings and I know that my parents friends (and my parents for that matter) would be horrified by FI going up my dress in public to find the garter and then toss it.
  • edited December 2011
    We did it and it was fun. We're in our mid-20s, and were also among the first of our crowd to get married. I did a quick poll of sisters/girlfriends and they thought it would be fun, so we went for it. The band played the Beyonce song "all the single ladies" which was cute, and I love the shots my photog got of all the ladies reaching for the bouquet. They are hysterical.
    imageimage BFP #1 7/2011 natural m/c at 11.5 weeks. BFP #2 3/2012 ectopic pg, MTX at 7.5 weeks. BFP #3 10/2012, EDD 6/24/2013 over the moon to be expecting our baby girl in June!
  • edited December 2011
    We're not doing it.  We're both 33 and pretty much the last of our group of friends to get married.  I wouldn't want to single out my 4 single girlfriends and I'm sure they wouldn't want to be singled out either.  That said, though, I've enjoyed bouquet tosses over the course of my wedding guest career.  At the last few weddings before we got engaged, I made it my mission to catch the bouquet.  I wasn't obnoxious or anything, but I managed to catch 3.  I think poor FI got the hint!
    *Kelly* MARRIED to the love of my life October 17, 2009!
  • edited December 2011
    Bouquet toss? No.Hardly any single gals at my wedding and I didn't want to put those one or two girls on the spot. Your crowd sounds like it might be different.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not... I dont want to put the single ladies on the spot either. I was planning to do it until FI had the idea of "gifting" the bouquet to the winner of the anniversary dance which I think is a nice tribute to the longest married couple!
  • linzeek44linzeek44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    garter toss: no bouquet toss: yes Lots of single ladies to catch it, and some little girls who will think it's fun. :) When: at the reception, right after Beyonce's "Single Ladies." hahahaha. :)
    My Love Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Doing both....my friends are crazy fun and I want to see the girls go nuts over the bouquet! And....since all of my single friends are friends with each other, no awkwardness with the garter!
  • robinmswrobinmsw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not doing it.  Primarily because I'm not having a bouquet...well, okay, pretty much all because I'm not having a bouquet :o)But even if I did have one, I wouldn't do the toss.  I just think it's one of those traditions that seems corny to me.  I'm not big on doing tradition just for the sake of tradition.
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't want to do it at first, but my Mom, MOH, and FMIL are assisting that it's tradition, and I have to do it. Oh well, we'll see who gets the final say ;)
  • edited December 2011
    A big hell no.  It's ALWAYS been awkward in every wedding i've ever been in.  And garter toss... gross.  ;)  just my opinion. 
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know, a lot of my friends are single, and I know they would make it absolutely HILARIOUS (garter toss and bouquet). I have quite a few gay guys coming to the wedding and they would be HILARIOUS! We'll see....maybe I will take a poll from my friends...
  • edited December 2011
    Not doing it!  I hate going to weddings and having people push me up there because I'm not married.  I also didn't want to buy another bouquet.  And there's always that one annoying girl who gets really excited and pushes everyone out of the way to catch it...skip the toss and just give your bouquet to that girl :)
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't do it...  and honestly I never even considered doing it.  I'm 34 and I did not want to put my single friends on the spot.  It definitely depends on your crowd and whether or not they will enjoy/feel comfortable with the toss.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not doing it. I'm not necessarily against it, though. There will be very few single ladies at the wedding and every wedding we've gone to the single ladies have gone up there, but then scattered like roaches when the bouquet came near them. We thought about giving the bouquet to the longest married couple, but we figured it out and it would be my parents and we just don't want that.
  • edited December 2011
    Nope, we didn't have a bouquet toss. Personally I'm not a huge fan because I don't like a lot of gimmicky things, plus I've always felt that it disrupts the flow of the reception. I didn't want to stop the fun and dancing to do the bouquet and garter toss.
    Kristen & Matt - June 27, 2008
    We're married!

My Bio
  • edited December 2011
    We didn't do a bouquet toss, I just didn't see the point.  I have like 2 single friends and that would have been mean!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, girls! I think (most of you) have convinced me--I think it is about the crowd, and know mine will like it. My friends are pretty fun and most are single, and I have one aunt who (at my uncle's wedding) was blocking all of the younger women--she's about 50, and it was hilarious and awesome. Definitely not doing the garter toss/thing--I am not a prude by any stretch, but always feel so awkward even watching that.
  • kates2480kates2480 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    nope, b/c I used to hate being one of the "single" gals hiding in the back. we didn't do a garter toss either.
  • edited December 2011
    I am going for No at my wedding.  There will be very few single woman.  I am thinking of doing a toss for the married woman and whoever catches it and there  Husband can lead the next dance off
  • edited December 2011
    We didn't do either b/c we are a bit older and the last of our friends to get married. What I did with my bouquet is present it to my Mom to thank her for everything she has done for me. ~erin~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards