Not Engaged Yet

Custom Ring!?

So the BF and I went ring "shopping" this weekend to see what is out there, what a full carat looks like vs. 1/2. an I in color vs. F. princess vs. cushion. ect. and of course $$. and after looking at crazy diamond prices and settings that were less than spectacular at chain stores he told me that there is a girl at work (he works at an appraisal office) who actually went to school to make jewelry and he thinks that the best idea is to buy a loose stone and ask her to make a custom setting!. I love the idea of a one of a kind unique ring, but I'm trying not to get too excited just in case she's too busy to do it or one of a million other things that could stop that scenario from happening... but still I'm excited! Just had to share

Re: Custom Ring!?

• skits_1skits_1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go with the custom!! We had my ring done this way and I find that you get a hell of a lot more for your money. Our diamond was bought from Blue Nile and then set at a local jewler. They made the wax mold and then you can make any changes you like. Enjoy the process!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I have to agree with Skits- go custom!  Even if your BF's friend is unavailable, you still have the option of talking to local jewelers and coming up with a unique design.  When two of my hippy friends got engaged she received a celtic knotwork design that works perfectly for them.  When two of my geeky friends got engaged she had a ring with a binary code written on the inside.   My ring is currently being made at the same local jewlers, but BF did the designing by himself so I don't know what it looks like *twitch* 
  • edited December 2011
    My ring was custom, but it was from a reputable jeweler.  That means the settings, prongs and diamonds are all guaranteed.  We also had to have a band made to it.  I get it cleaned for free with the jeweler.  I get it checked/adjusted anytime I desire.  Going custom is fine, but what if the stone falls out?  What if the settings is so unique that it is insured low even though it is significant to you?I'm not saying don't do it.  I'm just trying to help you think it through.  Good luck.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • edited December 2011
    A custom ring is an amazing idea. Save money and get an original. It's really a great idea. You can get exactly what you want also. Congrats!
  • angelgurl798angelgurl798 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that getting a custom ring is a great idea! All u have to do is get insurance on the ring...check out jewelers mutual... My ring is custom made and they can get pretty expensive so I know how you feel. Good luck!
  • lzimm13lzimm13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the well wishes! The more I think about it the more I want custom! eek! Even if his friend can't do it! Night_sprite, I never even thought of any of those things thanks for bringing them up! and angelgurl insurance is definitely something to look into! For those of you that were involved with the design process: what was it like? what were the steps?
  • PandaBurrPandaBurr member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm current in the middle of a custom process. It really depends on the methods the jeweler uses. First you give them ideas of what you want, and using that they draw up a sketch. From there, you discuss the actual proportions and stone sizes, etc. Then if the jeweler uses computer aided design, they'll make a 3D rendering on the computer. Then you can look at it and make changes to it. Once the design is finalized, they can either hand sculpt the wax, or "print" it, if they have computer aided modeling (that's how mine is being made). Once the wax is made, you get to see it (or pictures of it). Then when you finalize that, they make a mold using the wax, and then cast your ring! After it's cast, all the final stuff like setting the stones and polishing are done.
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    go custom.. I did and I'm mostly happy with the choice.   One piece of advice.  Think about your wedding band (assuming you are having one).  I didn't think about the wedding band. My e-ring is pretty wide with a split-shank.  Adding another band(s )didn't look right.   I now wear the e-ring and wedding band on different hands.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lzimm13lzimm13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually talked to him tonight about it and he said that the girl that makes the jewelry isn't going to be in the office until Wednesday and he'll talk to her then. I brought up the idea of custom even if she doesn't do it and he agreed that it was a good idea. As for wedding bands I told him that one of the positives of a custom ring is that we can go back to that jeweler and have them design bands that would fit/match but he doesn't know how he feels about matching bands, he's afraid that his will be too feminine. Oh well, theres plenty of time to worry about that yet.
  • lzimm13lzimm13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So he talked to the girl at work and unfortunately she does not have to tools to make a ring any more. :( However, we are going to continue to look at the option of finding another custom jeweler. Thanks for the input!
  • edited December 2011
    Just to throw this out there (and hopefully have other ladies that have had custom rings tell me this is crazy and I should keep looking), I took my grandma's ring in for an estimate to have a band made, and was told $1600.  That's using my own stones.  Seemed a bit pricey, but I'm not sure.  Thoughts from those of you who have gone this route?  The stones are really small (barely above being called chips), and I wanted a 14k white gold channel set band with a curve in it to match my e-ring.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    pp - My center stone was from my MIL and my custom ring was still $2k.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited December 2011
    Hmm...thanks!  As long as I don't think I'm getting ripped off, the price is easier to swallow.  I just had no idea whether it was normal or not, and it seemed like a lot.Thanks again! :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Lzimm13, I saw another of your posts on the Philadelphia board. Try going to jewelers row. Chain store way over charge.
  • lzimm13lzimm13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! we've been meaning to do that! but with our opposite schedules having time to go to the city is few and far between. Now its definitely on my list though!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards