Outdoor Weddings

Wind + Unity Candle

A unity candle is very important to both of us as part of our ceremony. Since we're going to be outside, I'm nervous the candles will be blown out by the wind. Any suggestions?TIA!

Re: Wind + Unity Candle

• We decided not to do the unity candle because of that reason.  I was really nervous that it would blow out (like what happened at my friend's wedding), and then it would look like a bad omen for our marriage lol.  We did the hand ceremony instead... I included the words in my married bio.  There are many alternatives to the unity candle that display the same kind of symbolism such as the sand ceremony, wine ceremony, water ceremony, etc.  The only solution I can think of is placing the candles inside large hurricane vases so the flame is completely covered and shielded by the wind.  But it's still no guarantee. 
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • I'd never seen a hand ceremony before. The words are beautiful! It won't work for us because we won't be having children (and I think to change those words would take away a huge part of it). We've found a beautiful reading to go along with the unity candle, and the words express exactly the way we view our marriage. That's one of the reasons we really want to go with the candle.
  • Look into a sand ceremony and see if your reading will go along with that.
  • I'm planning to do a sand ceremony for this very reason. Definitely look into it!
  • Don't know what the reading is, but light them and if it goes out no one will notice. Maybe have something decorative around the candles to block wind, like plants or decor, also see which way the wind  is blowing that day and locate somewhere so that it won't go out. We are doing a soil ceremonyy, got the idea form Mrs. Keith2B on the fall board. You take soil from your childhood homes and then put them in somehting, us mason jars and then you will combine them into a bigger jar adn use it to plant your first tree together or at your first home together.
  • Someone suggested to me to have each mother place sand in a sand timer and then have the bride and groom turn the timer over instead of using a unity candle.
  • I'm doing a sand ceremony for that reason. Check into it; your reading might work. If not, let me know and I have a great sand ceremony reading that I can send you.
  • I'm not doing a unity candle ceremony, but my officiant (he's been doing weddings for 19yrs in wind/hurricane prone Florida), said that he recommends using hurricane vases that come at least one inch above the wick.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards