Military Brides

The right date

Hi everyone! I'm having a little bit of a mental dilemma right now and I'm freaking out just a tad..... I have booked my wedding venue (a lovely outdoor tent) for June 5th of next year. My DH (a Marine) is currently deployed, but he's coming home in October (yay!). However, I heard that they will only give him 6 months in the states before he is deployed again. Is this true?? Only 6 months?? Because if it IS true, he'll be deployed again before our wedding and I will ultimately have to move the date. :o( I just don't know if I should move the date now while I don't have everything else booked, or if I should wait a few months to see what happens? If he is deployed again in April, it would be far too cold to have a tent wedding.. like I had always dreamed... :o/ Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Re: The right date

• kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It's not clockwork. It depends on his MOS, his unit, and around a billion other things :). SO's old squadron, for example, got back last fall and is leaving this fall. But there is no hard and fast rule. Some MOS don't even deploy as a unit, they deploy in smaller numbers too. It depends.Your FI knows more about his unit than any of us. He would have better info. Next time he calls or y'all skype, ask him.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • snyderlsnyderl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    'Stan has it right...it really depends on a million things that are out of your control.  make sure that you get military clauses written in all of your contracts so that you can change the date when/if the need arises.  my FI is a marine and deployed 3 times with less than 6 months in between (voluntarily), and his buddies have been gone & coming back at all different times!  good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    What the other two gals said... Youre just going to have to ask your FI. And to be honest he probably will not know at this point either. Just make sure in your contracts you can change your date should you need to if he gets deployed again. There is never a definite answer as to when deployments happen untill they are actually on the plane flying over there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • angelsmileangelsmile member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're set on that date, the military clause is a must.  You can't predict what they will do with deployments sad to say.  And even when you do have a date they change all the time.  It depends on the needs of the military.  Whatever they are.  At any time.  I would make sure you have a Plan B, Plan C, etc to make sure you are prepared for anything.
  • MellsBellsMellsBells member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agreed: military clauses are a must here. And I'd start preparing myself that the tent wedding might not happen. But you know what: the venue is so unimportant. The man is what's important, and if he's there, your day will be amazing. This is just how military life is ... it's hard to make plans, and most of the time, even still, nothing works out how you'd planned. Just gotta roll with it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards