Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Handfasting

Does anyone here have any information on handfasting ceremonies? i am love the symbolism of tying the cords and would like to incorporate handfasting into m ceremony, i am just having a hard time finding any information on it. Any help would be wonderful. TIA!

Re: Handfasting

• What type of info do you need? How to join hands? what to tie your hands with? And now I have to ask something personal.  What religion are you?  Because so many Christian churches ban this ritual, as it pre-dates the Christian church.  There are tons of books and websites on the subject. You can even purchase handfasting cords on the internet.   A Romantic Guide to Handfasting is a good book for Pagan ceremonies.  Rites of the Crystal Well is good, too.   Just let me know what you need, I'm happy to help.
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Dang. and in my VERY old bio, under pictures, is my ceremony, a picture of the parchment with it on their--which we have in a box with our cord and candles we used for the ceremony. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • we did a handfasting ceremony.  we used the excess lace from my dress (i had one made) to "tie" our hands.  we had our officiant wrap our hands with the lace.  while she wrapped our hands we had my husband's sister read this:These are the hands of your best friend,young and strong and full of love for you, that are holding yours on your wedding day as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow, and forever. These are the hands that will work alongside yours as together you build your future. These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, and with the slightest touch will comfort you like no other. These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief wracks your mind. These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes, tears of sorrow and tears of joy. These are the hands that will tenderly hold your children. These are the hands that will help you to hold your family as one. These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it. These are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch."here's a picture from our wedding that might be helpful to you:http://www.flickr.com/photos/friedpixphoto/3522527822/in/set-72157617907782955/
    imageimageimageimageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow Robyn, the words that were said over your handfasting ceremony are so beautiful.  They brought a tear to my eye.  Very lovely.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards