Jewish Weddings

Baby Shower Question

Hi...I didn't want to take over the other baby shower thread.I am in the process of conversion.  I know that most Jewish gals do not have baby showers before the baby is born, but do they have a "shower" after the fact?  and, no, I don't mean the bris or baby naming...just something for the female friends and family to celebrate.

Re: Baby Shower Question

• edited December 2011
    I am in the process of planning a baby shower for my sister (who is Jewish). I asked her if she was superstitious and she said no and that she thinks showers are a fun way to get together with your friends before the baby comes. I have mixed feelings about this and will probably feel stronger (one way or the other) once I am ready to have children. I also think it depends on the person and how they were raised. Fi's mother (also Jewish) thinks showers are great and she is happy to start getting invited to more Jewish baby showers. So to make a long post short- I think its a personal choice for showers and I think more Jewish mothers-to-be are opting for them but there are def. a large number of Jewish women who are still uncomfortable with the idea of a shower. And to FINALLY answer your question, lol, I've never been to a shower after the fact for someone who did not have a shower... I've just been to bris & naming ceremonies (where we gave a gift).
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i've never been to a shower for a jewish mother to be.  usually people just send a gift after the fact.  of course, in different circles there are different customs.  if you really would like one, i don't think it would be strange to have one.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • signingjuliesigningjulie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    traditionally, Jewish women aren't supposed to have baby showers bc it's considered superstitious to receive gifts for a baby who's not born yet, g-d forbit something happens (same reason a bris is when the baby is 8 days old).  just like everything else, people pick and choose what traditions to follow/not follow, same as keeping kosher, keeping shabbat, etc.  Unless you're super strict Orthodox, you're probably not upholding every single law/custom of Judaism.  I personally am uncomfortable about the idea of a Jewish baby shower, but at the same they're a fun way to get people together to celebrate the upcoming baby.  As far as a shower after the fact, people don't really do that.  It's either a bris or a naming, which are both celebrations with friends and family, gifts, lots of food (of course, it's Jews), etc. HTH
  • edited December 2011
    It depends on the level of observance. I had one with my SIL last weekend and have another next weekend. I'm not superstitious about it....
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards