Wedding Party
Options

He has so many sisters!

My fiance and I recently got engaged and are discussing our wedding party. The only problem is that he has three sisters. Two of them are 26 and 27 and already married. The other is 16. I also have a sister and a cousin I want to have. Not to mention two best friends. I never wanted a big wedding party so 7 bridesmaids seems like too much. I think the older sisters want to be in the wedding and I don't want to hurt their feelings. I think they would be hurt if I asked them to read or have another job instead of bridesmaids. My fiance wants them to be in the party too. Am I just going to have to give in on this one?

Re: He has so many sisters!

• Options
    If he wants them in the wedding so badly they can stand on his side.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    filawfilaw member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    You really should consider talking to him about a mixed gender WP.  When my FI brought up he wanted "Groomswomen" I was concerned at first, and fretted about what people would think and what they would wear.  But, they were actually very easy to dress, and no one has said anything about it.  The typical reaction I get is a brief surprise, followed by the person expressing what a nice idea they think it is.

Bottom line, it may seem like a crazy idea at first, but you and your FI shoudl give it some real consideration, and you both might be all the happier for it.
  • Options
    They should be his groomswomen and stand on his side.  
  • Options
    Agreed. They can stand on his side and wear either the same thing as the bridesmaids or whatever black dress they prefer.
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You choose your side, he chooses his.  People should stand on the side of the person with whom they share the closest relationship, not the closest anatomy.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Actually, I disagree with most of the opinions above. I feel like family should always come first, sisters are so important.
    I really wanted a small wedding party, but it just didn't work out that way. I'm going to have eight BM's! It may sound overwhelming and ridiculous, but the more I've thought about it, the more excited I get! It just made me realize how lucky I am to have so many people that I love and want to be involved in the most important day of my life. It's going to be a big WP, but I've gotten over the shock of it, and I'm now really excited! So, at least consider a big wedding party.
  • Options
    How is the sisters standing on his (their brother's) side not putting family first?  
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_many-sisters-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:af73a75b-2ce4-40c2-ac8c-3b0ba2be378fPost:6d4ce047-21f5-4e30-ac5a-fb4cac22209e">Re: He has so many sisters!</a>:
    [QUOTE]How is the sisters standing on his (their brother's) side not putting family first?  
    Posted by bablingbrooke[/QUOTE]

Brooke... you know those people who brag about not reading books or watching the news? The ones who choose to not pay attention. I'm guessing that girl's one of them.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Umm, I think it's actually more strongly affirming family to actually, you know, stand with the family. 
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Well Crazyjane says it all.  Sisters standing on their brother's side = family coming first. No one suggested that they not be in the wedding. Also, you spend a day with my family and you will realize that being family doesn't automatically give you WP placement.

Family doesn't have to be related by blood. "Families" are the people in your life whom you love, and love you, the most. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    My FI's sister is not in the wedding party (shes's going to be an usherette) and I do feel bad about it. I have about 2.5 months left and I keep trying to convince my FI to have her on his side because I have 4 BMs and he has 3, including my brother. I don't want to have our sides get any more uneven but I really want her to stand up there on his side. He doesn't want to because "it's too different." My god man, get over it! 

I'd say add the sisters that he wants to have on his side. You're not obligated to add them on your side unless you really want to.
    "And this, our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything." William Shakespeare
  • Options
    If its really important to him, I'd give in.  I have never been to a wedding with mixed attendants...not that I would be opposed to it, but I would understand if FI wasn't into it.  I'd start adding my cousins and/or brothers on his side to even it out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards