North Carolina
Options

Historic Yates Mill Park (Lake Wheeler, Raleigh)

Hey ladies! I hope you're all doing well! Congrats to all that have gotten married!! I've been MIA for about a week as my future family in law was in town for the past week and staying with us. I took my FMIL to a couple sites that I have been thinking about and her favorite thus far was Bass Lake. Sadly, our date has already been booked and we either we need to find another venue, or change our date (we're considering both options). My question today is about the Historic Yates Mills Park over on Lake Wheeler road. I've been googling (thats a funny word) and haven't had much success about finding out if you can have a reception there or not. They've got an education facility there, so I think they've got the room. I just didnt know if theres a specific site I should be looking at. What do you ladies think?Thanks! :)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Historic Yates Mill Park (Lake Wheeler, Raleigh)

• Options
    ktyd8ktyd8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    just from reading their website it says no alcohol or amplified music..but you may not want those things. and i also looked into bass lake but the dealbreaker for me was that you had to pay to rent the facility but the public was still allowed.
    ~Kaitlyn~
    Anniversary
    My Chart
    DX PCOS 2002 @ age 14
    DX Diabetes 3/12
    My Diabetes Blog
    TTA until ?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    "you had to pay to rent the facility but the public was still allowed."what the heck?!  I don't think anybody would want that!
  • Options
    momofaydenmomofayden member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yates mill is pretty but small.  I haven't seen the room they would rent out though.
  • Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    okay, so I totally missed that part of the contract. . . thanks for bringing that to my attention! I mean, I could understand people walking on the trail, but if this means that random people can just walk up to the deck and what not, Im pretty sure that I'll be looking elsewhere. Thanks ladies! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm just going to mention that Yates Mill Pond is just down the road from all the NCSU farm units.  And I'm thinking if the wind blows just the right way you might get a whiff of some of the farms.  I'm not sure if you will, but considering there are 2 cow farms and a pig farm just up the road it's a possibility.
  • Options
    krispychikinkrispychikin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't believe there's really a place at Yates Mill where you could have an event - other than potentially a nice outdoor rehearsal dinner.Lake Wheeler does have event space for smaller weddings so you could check there.  And Lake Johnson also has some small event spaces (these are both city of raleigh sites, rather than wake county - city of raleigh tends to have better spaces for events than the wake county sites do).  Here's a link to all their rental spaces: http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_209_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Leisure/Parks_and_Facilities/Cat-TG-20041119-154657-Rental_Facilities.html
  • Options
    momofaydenmomofayden member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have seen weddings at Lake Johnson and they don't close it to the public either.   
  • Options
    ktyd8ktyd8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah i looked into lake johnson as well and like bass lake they have it still where public can still access the dock and veranda area because they sell snacks and have boat rentals. beautiful place but i don't want the public allowed when i paid for the space! i think that's definately something to keep in mind when you're looking at rental facilities at lakes or city/state parks.
    ~Kaitlyn~
    Anniversary
    My Chart
    DX PCOS 2002 @ age 14
    DX Diabetes 3/12
    My Diabetes Blog
    TTA until ?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    so, after considering all of this. . Im now finding myself trying to find another venue for a reception, but have no idea where to go that is affordable. . .guess I know what I'll be doing with my two days off this week :)Thanks for the updates and opinions ladies!  They're all very appreciated!
  • Options
    allisonuncallisonunc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you looking specifically at Raleigh? I can recommend a couple places outdoors in Chapel Hill.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No, not specifically raleigh, but in the surrounding area. Any recommendations are welcomed! :)I will say though, Im on a pretty tight budget. If you've got some you can post it here or shoot me an email at ncsupsych at gmail dot com Thanks :)
  • Options
    ktyd8ktyd8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    did you check out haywood hall? [url]http://www.haywoodhall.org/events/typesofevents.html [/url] and this is their blog: [url]http://haywoodhall.wordpress.com[/url] i know several girls on the board have used them.
    ~Kaitlyn~
    Anniversary
    My Chart
    DX PCOS 2002 @ age 14
    DX Diabetes 3/12
    My Diabetes Blog
    TTA until ?
  • Options
    ktyd8ktyd8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    also when i checked in with them it was $1250 for 8 hour use. idk if thats in your budget but very similar to bass lake pricing.
    ~Kaitlyn~
    Anniversary
    My Chart
    DX PCOS 2002 @ age 14
    DX Diabetes 3/12
    My Diabetes Blog
    TTA until ?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also check out museums if you're not set on an outdoor wedding.  Most of the museums and art centers in Raleigh cost about $1000 to rent and it's after hours so you don't have to worry about the public coming in :)At the science museum in Durham, you can even rent by the hour. [link]<a href="http://www.ncmls.org/visit/plan-a-party/specialevents/rates" rel='nofollow'>http://www.ncmls.org/visit/plan-a-party/specialevents/rates</a>[/link]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards