Latino Weddings
Options

Father Daughter Dance

So I have never posted on this board before but I think this is the right place to post this.
So I am really close with my dad and he is originally from Mexico.  I want our dance to be really special because I am the youngest, a daddy''s girl, and he is having a hard time letting go.  I really want to have the song we dance to be spanish but I would like it to be kinda Americanized (my groom and his mom will be joining in halfway through the song) and because most of the invites aren't used to that style of music. 

I was thinking maybe something by Enrique Iglesias or an artist like that but I am just not sure where to start.  Any song ideas would be really appreciated.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Father Daughter Dance

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, if you and your dad are close and this is a hard and special time.  And,  you are wanting to do a special Mexican song for him....than I would make it an actual Mexican song that is one of his favorites and is meaningful to him.  Otherwise, it is almost like you just want to throw in some Spanish so that it looks like its Mexican.  Allow yourself to actually have that special time with him.  FI and his mom can either join in a song that is actually meaningful for you guys or have their own meaningful song.  But, I think your current search may leave you with a song that works, but is not actually meaningful to anyone involved.
  • Options
    loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you should stick to a Mexican song. Also, since it's your only song with your father, I would suggest having the whole song to just you and him. And then fiance and his mother can dance to a separate one

We're dancing to "Mi Niña Bonita" by Vicente Fernandez
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you should pick a song that he really likes and dance to it.

My dad loves No se tu by Luis Miguel but I want to dance Hoy tengo que decirte papa by Timbiriche.... I know either one will be meaningful to him.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_father-daughter-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:bf936e0a-1b8d-4054-b418-5dc8dc6baabcPost:1e8489e0-440a-4342-bfdf-51b0416d0a3b">Re: Father Daughter Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you should stick to a Mexican song. Also, since it's your only song with your father, I would suggest having the whole song to just you and him. And then fiance and his mother can dance to a separate one <strong>We're dancing to "Mi Niña Bonita" by Vicente Fernandez
    </strong>Posted by loop0406[/QUOTE]

We did this.  I'm also a daddy's girl so it was a very emotional moment for both of us.
    My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
  • Options
    SnufflyfluffySnufflyfluffy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok maybe I didn't explain very well, my dad does love the americanized Mexican music too so it isn't me just doing it for the guests and I would love for my FI and his mom to have their own song but he won't do it.  Thank you for the ideas
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edelgado11edelgado11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If your FI and his mom are joining you half way through the song, you should probably pick a song that reflects the love between a parent and a child so its not only meaningful to you and your FI.  But I think ensuring that the meaning of the dance stays with you is key, make it yours. :D

I love Mi Niña Bonita, I think I'm going to combine two songs (I'm working with my DJ for this- 1/2 of one, 1/2 of another)- to start dancing to Me Refiero a Ti (Lalo Mora) and end with a zapateado.  I want to dedicate Me Refiero a Ti to my dad, but I also want to dance something that I know he really enjoys to dance with both my sister and I (we're both definitely daddy's girls).

Good Luck!
    Anniversary ExerciseMilestone
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I get the your situation. I'm also the youngest, daddy's girl, and have the word fluff in our theknot name :) I'm also struggling with a song for my Mexican born and raised dad, but I think that it would be so much more special to just have it you and your dad on the dance floor. If you do want to add his mom I would have to agree on picking a song that represents the relationship of a parent to a child. I don't have any songs to recommend to you, but maybe ask family or friends that could recommend something. Some songs, especially older ones are sometimes translated english - spanish or spanish - english.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards