Snarky Brides
Options

Should have left well enough alone.

Warning:This is long and rambly. Read at your own risk.Yesterday I hinted to the midwife that I'd like an ultrasound, so she ordered one. Normally they just do one at 20 weeks, but since I'd only had 2 postpartum periods before getting pregnant again it was fesable that my cycle was off so calculating my due date based on my last period might not be accurate. She said I was 7  weeks based on that, knowing when we had sex and that when I was charting before Maggie that I ovulated late made me think I wasn't as far along, maybe 6 weeks. Plus I took a pregnancy test on July 16 and it was negative, took one on the 19th and it was positive. The ultrasound tech had trouble getting measurements to even date the pregnancy. It stressed me out. She said I had a tilted uterus. We saw the sac and the yolk, finally she got enough to date me 5 weeks 6 days. I know logically this date makes sense based on the above and that it doesn't necessairly mean anything is wrong, but of course I'm worried that things aren't developing properly. The ultrasound tech told me I should call and see if the midwife will want me to have another ultrasound in a few weeks to get a more accurate measurement and see the heartbeat (which I interpreted as meaning to make sure there's an embryo developing) I have a call in to the midwife, but I'm having trouble reconciling this information. I've read way too many posts on first trimester about women having ultrasounds where they measure behind and then the embryo doesn't develop.
image Ready to rumble.

Re: Should have left well enough alone.

• Options
    hugs and vibes and all that to you, Kristen. I hope for the very best for you and your little embryo.
  • Options
    hopefully you will get positive answers from you midwife.  sorry you are going through this.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    STAY OFF FIRST TRI!  That board freaked me out.  I'm sure everything will be fine.
  • Options
    Sometimes I think technology just gives us more to worry about.  You thought you were 6 weeks and the US tech pretty much agrees with that, so it doesn't sound like you are measuring behind except based on the most innaccurate guess going from your last period.  Try not to worry.  Good vibez to you.
  • Options
    First step is to NOT go to the Bump.  That s*it will just make it worse. I wish you the best, but I am sure everything is fine.  That first trimester is a doozy.
  • Options
    I really hope everything works out for you. Try not to stress.
  • Options
    I know it's easier said than done, but don't worry yet!  Good vibez to you and your ute!
    imageimage
  • Options
    I know this is stressful for you.  But just remember that before you walked into that room you thought you were 6 weeks, and that's what they told you.Hopefully your midwife will be able to give you some assurance that this is normal.  I'm sorry you're going through this.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • Options
    Just give yourself some time to take some deep breaths and  process the information.  You'll be okay!  And stay away from the bump.I'd offer you my condolences, but they'll seem small and pathetic next to BGB's.
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • Options
    I'm sorry the first tri is so worrisome, but hopefully you'll get more info soon.  Good thoughts and vibez to you and embryo.
  • Options
    As to the tech having a hard time getting measurements, she may just not have a whole lot of experience measuring a fetus this early since an U/S at 5 weeks isn't usual.
  • Options
    Hi Kirsten...Not to share too much info, but I have a little bit of experience with very early ultrasounds in both successful and unsuccessful pregnancies.   Here's my take:  I would be encouraged that you saw BOTH the sac and yolk.  No heartbeat is to be expected, of course, but seeing what looks like the yolk is a key thing.   Definitely go for another U/S in a few weeks, tho, just for your own sanity.And as for a tilted uterus.. not that big of a deal at all. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Don't panic!  I was confused when I was given my second EDD (it was moved back by a week).  I was (and still am) sure that I conceived a few days before when they say I did.  The U/S tech said that dating is imprecise and can be off up to 5 days in either direction.  She also said that it is especially hard to give an accurate date early on.   
    image Mabel the Loser.
  • Options
    And maybe the tilted ute makes it harder for her to take good measurements. I wouldn't stress just yet.
  • Options
    I don't know if this helps or not, but my friend had an ultrasound when she was pregnant last year at 9 weeks.  She came away freaked out too, similar to how you are right now.  In the end, it was basically just too early and they never should have given her an ultrasound that early in the pregnancy because there just isn't enough to see yet.  She had a healthy baby boy in March.  Try not to overthink it, it's soooo early and internet research usually only gives you more to think about than you really should.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I hope you get the other ultrasound for piece of mind... but please try not to think the worst. You can't think of it as measuring behind, just keep reminding yourself that you didn't know your date and that your baby could be measuring spot on. In fact, if you assume that you were 14dpo on the 19th when you got your positive, then you would only be 6 weeks now. And just to offer a counterpoint to the posts you've seen on first tri... I've seen many a success story, where the woman was measuring behind and everything turned out fine. You can have late implantation. I'm sorry that you have to deal with this at all though.

Maybe I don't have a heightened sense of smell, but I've never smelled any vagina on my pants. -- TSD

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Bloggity Blog - You know you want to...
  • Options
    Thanks all. One of the girls on my local is an U/S tech and she said the same thing, that it's really hard to see early on. Plus the tilted uterus can make it even more difficult. Hopefully the midwife will reassure me and send me in for another one in a few weeks when there's just plain more to see.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • Options
    Argh, those early weeks are probably the most challenging to get through. I'm sorry you're feeling so anxious about things. Keep us posted, you have all my size 4 huggies.
    image Guess who?
  • Options
    I'm sorry, Kristen. :( I wish I had more to add but instead I'm just gonna nod and point at what everyone else has said. I hope you get good news soon and I'll be thinking of you.

Husbands should be like Kleenex: Soft, strong, and disposable.
  • Options
    I am also sending some vibezz, but I am sure it is all OK.  NOw, my question to all of you.  Once I conceive, I know that first tri is EEEvil, but I will have random questions do you mind if I occasionally ask some of you?
  • Options
    I will be happy to answer all your first tri questions EAB.

Book Review Blog

If I were a man (or fitty) I'd totally call my penis THE WIZARD - HappyTummy
  • Options
    Of course EAB, that's why I posted this here and not there. :-) First tri is an abyss.Midwife called back. She said things are "probably fine", that it's good that I have symptoms of nausea and fatigue, it "makes her feel better". They will review the results when they get them and I'll call back Friday to find out when they think I should get another ultrasound. Now I'm going to try to not worry too much and assume everything is okay. We'll see if that works.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • Options
    I agree with whomever said technology gives us too much to worry about. I kept getting different estimated due dates in the beginning, and it all freaked me out. Conversely, I never had another u/s after about 20 weeks, despite hearing about other women having lots of late ultrasounds. That sparked worry that maybe there was something really wrong we just didn't know about.
  • Options
    Glad you were able to talk to your midwife. Sorry you have to worry about this :(
    DSC_0768
    Claire Elizabeth 12/31/2011
    Married Bio
  • Options
    I am working on geting a house first, then I can focus on makin' babies.
  • Options
    I will be happy to answer all your first tri questions EAB. Mod, are you expecting??
  • Options
    Mod just happens to know everything about everything.  Duh.
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • Options
    Mod's advice would be great.  In fact, I think you should be chiming in on any baby q's from now on! 
  • Options
    If there's a yolk at 6 weeks that's GOOD news!  
  • Options
    Mod is a pregnancy oracle, don'tcha know? Major positive vibes to you Kristen.  That is exactly why I couldn't stand first tri, it does not ease the worry, only amplifies it.
    Mucho likes purple nails and purple cupcakes
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards