Wedding Etiquette Forum

Annoying Neighbor

I have a crazy annoying neighbor who owns a big tricked out pick up truck. The car alarm on this truck goes off approximately 6-10 times a day. He ignores it and lets it run its course until it turns off automatically.It loud, very loud, and extremely obnoxious. I've already left a polite note on his windshield asking that he turn it off manually when it goes off, and look into turning down the sensitivity. Since it still goes off 6-10 times a day, I'm pretty sure he doesn't care. I've reported him to the city, but it doesn't look like they've done much.So, what should I do:A. Leave another, more assertive letterB. Call the cops everytime it goes off and hope to annoy them into doing somethingC. Cut his battery cablesD. Put an add for a free tricked out gray pickup truck on craigslist

Re: Annoying Neighbor

• E.  Ignore it.  In fact, if you had left me that note I'd set if off intentionally just to tick  you off.
    Planning bio My DIY blog The Maine Bio

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Jaime has read 18 books toward her goal of 50 books.
    hide
  • Kind of hard to ignore something that wakes you up in the middle of the night. Seriously, it's ungodly loud.
  • I'd throw a brick at his truck and give it a reason to go off.
    Photobucket
  • I like D.
  • C or D.  I hate car alarms with a passion, especially the aftermarket uber sensitive ones.  I bet his goes off whenever someone so much as walks past it.
  • I think I'm going to have to go with D also. 
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Wow we never have this problem in Italy.
  • Hmmm, maybe I can combine D with A and print out the ad and leave it on his windshield.
  • time for a fire bomb
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• In fact, if you had left me that note I'd set if off intentionally just to tick you off. I'm pretty sure that makes you an inconsiderate jerk.  I understand notes being annoying, but really? It's ok to let your car alarm go off and bother everyone else that often? This is why there's no sense of community anymore.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • I like the brick or other destructive object idea also.
  • I would ring his doorbell and actually speak to him about it instead of leaving a note and hoping for a change. Speaking to you face to face might make him feel guilty about it.
    Oh no we dropped the groom!! imagePlanning Bio UPDATED
  • Are you sure he's around and able to hear the alarm when it does go off?

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Possibly, but it seems like most guys who drive huge trucks are jerks.  At least that's my experience.
  • In fact, if you had left me that note I'd set if off intentionally just to tick you off. I'm pretty sure that makes you an inconsiderate jerk. I understand notes being annoying, but really? It's ok to let your car alarm go off and bother everyone else that often? This is why there's no sense of community anymore. Ok, that was more of a joke than anything.  But clearly this guy doesn't care about his alarm going off if it happens that often even after a note was left.  You can't make people care about other people's comfort. 
    Planning bio My DIY blog The Maine Bio

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Jaime has read 18 books toward her goal of 50 books.
    hide
  • If it was a once in a while thing, I would question if he was just out of town or something. But this has been going on for at least 6 months, and the guy has never manually turned it off. I've seen him come home, go inside, and the thing goes off 30 minutes later. He sucks.
  • Do you live in a deed-restricted community? I am not a huge fan of HOAs but I would think if you had one, someone like the HOA president may be able to intervene.
  • I vote C, but have two other ideas also: E. While you're there, also cut the brake line (though this could end up badly for some innocent bystanders) F. Drive/have someone push it into the nearest lake I have NO patience for guys who are trying to overcompensate for other shortcomings by having a loud a** vehicle.
  • No HOA, we live in the city... it's kind of a free for all here. brend, that's an idea, but sounds like a lot of manual labor.I'm charging my camera battery now, everyone knows you can't sell shiit on craigslist without a picture.
  • Your gonna have to post the CL ad if you put one up.  This I wanna see!
  • I agree with Agk. I'm all about face-to-face confrontation when it comes to neighbor issues.
  • next time it goes off sit on his front porch with a fog horn letting it continuously blow until he comes out !
  • we moved in May because we had really awful rude neighbors with car alarms, late night arguments, loud car stereos, and etc.  they were terrible.  i called the police EVERY SINGLE TIME they did something rude or dangerous (racing up and down the street late at night with an unseatbelted child in the front seat was one of the things i called about and loud car stereos and domestic disputes including pushing/shoving/hitting in their yard or my yard).  So I recommend calling the police.  Eventually the police will do something. 
  • I'm a big fan of calling the police. I live in an apartment complex in a relatively small college town, and for a while I had lots of trouble with partying undergrads waking me up. I complained to the apartment manager and she told me I should call the police when it happens, because 2 noise violations = kicked out of building. So I started doing just that, and for about three months I called the cops every time I heard a ruckus after 10pm. Lately it has been very quiet.....
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • I vote call the cops as it's happening and see if they can do anything about it. I also vote for option D.One time there was a wife who found out her husband was cheating on her. Instead of confronting him she put his porche on craigslist with an ad that said "The first person to get to XX street with $1 gets a 2007 (that years model) whatever porche."Now that's getting even.
  • Hmm, talking to him in person seems like the logical thing to do. But, then I can't really put his truck on craigslist because he'll know who did it. H says he'll talk to him, so I guess we'll see how many times his car alarm wakes me up tonight and decide from there.Oh, and fyi, since I started this post the alarm has gone off three times.
  • Oh, and katie, that's brutal!
  • If all else fails, throw some bologna all over the truck...takes the paint right off (unless there's some new fancy paint that I don't know about).  You could even have fun with it and but it into to funny/mean messages before you put it on there.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i'd try to talk to him about it. that being said i hate confrontation so i completely understand the note. my downstairs neighbor has her alarm set to go off every morning @ 7, which is fine. the problem is when she's out of town it still goes off & doesn't stop until 9. SERIOUSLY. after about 4 times i finally left a note on her door this morning. hopefully this will end now.
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards