Florida-West Coast

Losing Weight

So, it just hit me in the past few days that I have just about one month before my dress fitting... and I need to lose 10 lbs. I HATE my stomach and arms and really don't want to look and feel horrible on my wedding day (it doesn't help when you look at the picture of the 90 lb. model on the designer's website!)Is anyone else trying to or already has lost weight and how are you doing it? I know I need to start working out, but I just can't seem to get motivated. I don't eat that good either, but I'm not the type of person that can stick to a diet and eat the same thing everyday. Please helpppp! :(

Re: Losing Weight

• edited December 2011
    It really is about a lifestyle change, not a diet.I would suggest joining the YMCA and start with group classes. Aerobics, body works, etc. I also would suggest getting a personal trainer and getting on some sort of routine. All the working out in the world isn't going to do any good unless you eat a healthy diet. A diet full of fresh fruits and veggies is the quickest way to drop pounds. I would suggest eating a gigantic salad for lunch - no cheese, no meat, good healthy dressing, lots of veggies (avocados will fill you up and make the salad filling).I hope this helps and I hope you find the motivation to begin this journey.
  • edited December 2011
    Do you have to pay the monthly member fee to take a class at the YMCA? FI & I just bought a house and I'm not sure I'll be comfortable spending a lot of money on the gym.. although I would love to. Even though we're in a really good financial position, we still worry.It's so hard to change my lifestyle. By the time I'm done with work and school, I'm exhausted and just want to sleep. How do you find the energy to work out after a long day? I'm guessing you have to just force yourself?I'll def. take your advice and start eating better. Are there any good healthy recipe websites I can use? Thanks! :)
  • edited December 2011
    I know for me, once I finally get over the hump and into the gym I really enjoy working out. In fact I have a lot more energy when I am working out. As for the 90 lb model, I think they need to start using average sized girls for modeling wedding gowns, those girls are too skinny it ruins the dress :)
  • Eureka841Eureka841 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I totally understand you. I am working on losing weight myself for the wedding and I work 24-7and go to school full time and at the end of the day all I want to do is curl up in bed and sleep. I started small with the weightloss. like the other girl said. Its really a lifestyle change and eating healthy is always a plus and working out at a gym gives you lots of motivation. but if the gym isnt your thing here is what I did and I hope it helps! Have you ever read the books "Eat this not that" They tell you which food is better while not necessarily cuting out the bad food. It offers a lot and there are many different books by this category. Then I saw in the TBT this article on Calorieking.com and that really worked for me. if you go to the website it tells you how much is in a serving of food (whatever you are making.) and I love using it. I have learned to buy so many things from that site. I am italian and I cant give up food but one thing I have learned is that moderation is the key to eating healthy. I couldnt afford the gym so I started working out on my own. Starting small I went on walks with my FI and gradually worked up to a run. I also did pushups, situps, and squats at home. When I started working out I couldnt even last 20minutes but now I work out for a whole hour and I am continuing to work out. We have even bought some free weights and enjoy working out together. now another way to lose weight but I didnt do this is to see your doctor about medical weightloss such as taking a pill or having b12 injections. A friend of mine did it this way, she was characterized as obese and she wanted to lose lots of weight for her wedding she went from a size 18 to a 12 and she kept the weight off. hopefully these work and goodluck!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh! If you have Bright House or Fios, the OnDemand section if packed with lots of great work-out videos, including 30 day shred (which kicks my booty!)
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah start making some small changes... no more fried foods,  more fruits and veggies.  then get moving!  Do whatever, go for a walk, a bike ride, etc.  The 30 Day Shred is great for toning up, and its only like $10 for the DVD on Amazon.  Its only like 20 mins a day!  Also, check out the Getting in Shape board.  The girls on there are great and very motivating!  As much as it sucks, there is no easy way!  Just remember that you will have pictures of you in your wedding dress for the rest of your life.... if you think of that every time you are about to put something bad in your mouth, i would bet that 9 times out of 10, you would pick something more healthy! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks girls! I actually bought the 30 day Shred video a few months ago. I did it maybe 4 times (couldn't walk after the first time for about a week!) and then that was it, I just stopped. I was finally getting through the whole workout too! I have a heart condition, which makes it hard sometimes because I get dizzy and short of breath easily. I don't know if I'd be a candidate for pills or injections for this reason, but I used to enjoy working out and would love to get back into it. I'm going to start today with all of your suggestions. Thinking of my wedding pictures will definitely motivate me! I used to get so aggravated with people who complained about their weight and did nothing about it... and now I'm one of them! I had no idea about OnDemand either. I'll have to check that out when I get home today! :)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sorry to go on a soap box here, but good nutrition and exercise is something near and dear to my heart.  And believe me, I understand about going to college and working full time.  I went from a size 6 my freshman year of college to a size 12 when I graduated.  I remember looking at the scale and crying.  I remember wanting to stay in bed all day and wondering how I let myself get this way.   It has been 5 years since then.  I have a healty body, and I am feeling better than ever.  I can honestly say I have never had more energy or been healthier as I am right now.  I sure takes a lot of work and determination, but I owe it to myself and my body to take these things seriously.  I believe the energy comes from a healthy diet.  Eating fast food and overeating makes on lethargic. Working out makes me happy.  I have to give myself that each day.  I also have a dog who I walk between 1 hour and 2 hours every day so that sure gets me moving.  It makes my dog so happy to go on walks and it gives me time to clear my head and just enjoy the outdoors.  I really love these walks and it is during this time I get great ideas for work, life, love and now wedding planning.  ha. I also swim.  In fact my FI and I are both swimmers so that is what we do on the weekend as a 'date' --- race each other.  ;)I don't drink (maybe 1x a month if that) and I am pretty much a health nut.  I actually am a vegan - which I'm not pushing on you or anyone - but do believe it is a healthy way to eat.  Again, not all the time, but a llittle bit here and a little bit there goes a long way. I also do NOT eat fast food.  NEVER.  Not only are the portions way too big, but the quality of food is bad and they throw in little harmful substances like MSG without your knowledge.  As far as the YMCA, yes you have to pay a monthly fee - mine in Sarasota is around $45.  You can do 99%of the classes with that amount of money.  I understand you are strapped for cash, but that could be two meals you skip eating out at a restaurant and you would gain so much more.Another fun thing to do is join a running group.  I joined a marathon for begginners group last year where we trained for 6 months using the Jeff Galloway method (run/walk - 3 min run/1 min wallk).  I never considered myself a runner, acutally I hate running, but i enjoyed the company of other people on this journey.  In 2009, I ran 1 marathon, 2 half maratons, and numerous other 10k and 5 k races.  The book that changed my life and eating habits is called "The American Vegetarian Cookbook from the Fit for Life Kitchen."  I read this cookbook cover to cover and then wondered what "Fit for Life" was all about.  I got that book to, which might be a good starting point as well.  Understand some of the prinicpals might seem out there, but take what you know to be true to heart.  Fruits and veggies are a natural source of vitamins and health.  I'm happy to talk to you via email if you'd like. Again, sorry for the long post.   I hope it helped.
  • edited December 2011
    I also wanted to lose weight before my dress fitting.  I still have another month to go and I have reached my goal weight.  I lost 16 pounds over the span of like 9 months.  My weight did the "yo-yo" thing for a while but I just kept at it.  For me it was a lifestyle change but I still allowed myself treats and took weekends off for the most part.  I ended up only losing around 1-2 pounds a month.  I figure I may lose another pound or 2 before my dress fitting but I'm happy where I'm at now.  Drink lots of water and go for walks in the evening.  I also did 30 Day Shred (it gets easier!)
    Erin and Kyle ~~~ November 7, 2009
  • edited December 2011
    No, it definitely helped! I went from being 105 lbs. all my life to now 135... (went from a 00 to a 7/9) gained all the weight after I met my FI. Of course he hasn't gained anything! lol I used to LOVE running. In high school, I played basketball and ran track and cross country. Running definitely helps to clear your head and calm you down and I miss that. I really want to start walking my dogs too, but the little one is only 7 weeks so he's not ready for that yet. FI tells me that we'll start taking him and our 2 yr old for long walks once he's old enough.$45 isn't too bad. I may be able to spare that each month. I'm so self-concious about working out in front of other people though, esp. when they know what they're doing and I don't. lol Maybe a personal trainer would help until I feel comfortable?I'm going to have to look into the book you mentioned. I need to find healthy recipes to cook. When I was living at my parents, my mom always made fattening, amazingly good meals. lol Now that I'm living on my own, I need to get away from that and make healthier decisions.Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. It helps to know that others have gained the weight and been able to get back to a healthier state. :) I've been feeling alone in that.. FI is muscular and toned no matter what he eats or does, it's so frustrating! lol
  • edited December 2011
    Boltsfan19, 16 lbs is awesome! Congrats! :) 30 day shred is amazing, it's just so hard to stick with because she kicks your butt! lol I guess I need to just suck it up and do it! lol
  • edited December 2011
    Totally feel ya.  I'm fine with the working out part, though I don't always get to do it as much as I'd like, but still having problems with my eating and can't seem to lose the last 10 pounds and doesn't help that FI sits next to me eating whatever he likes without gaining a thing.   I completely understand coming home at the end of a day and not having the energy to workout, I work crazy hours and many late nights, but what helps for me is to do it in the morning.  It's hard at first, but then you get used to it, and it's just part of your routine and it's good because you start the day off better and have more energy and I'm generally better about the eating after I've worked out too.  Also what helps me is writing down everything I eat, so I can really monitor what exactly I'm eating and try to see what I need to tailor to make the next day better.  HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    I know! It's so aggravating that men can eat pretty much anything and see no change in their weight, but we eat one tiny piece of chocolate and it adds a lb! I'll have to try writing down what I eat. I think if I see it and not just eat it and forget about it, It'll make me think more and try to make better decisions! I'm so relieved that I'm not the only who has a hard time maintaining their ideal weight, not that I want anyone else to struggle of course :) It helps to know you're not alone though! TY!
  • edited December 2011
    I have found myself stuck in a hard spot with my weight loss journey. Im at my heighest weight, and let me tell you its not pretty. I struggle with hypothyroid, and an autoimmune thyroid disease. Recently I was diagonised with adrenal fatigue. High intensity workouts is causing more harm to me than good with adrenal fatigue. Im suppose to only do brisk walks, yoga, or strength training but my heart rate can never go over 100. I carry all my weight in my mid section, and its so depressing. I have 3 months till my wedding and Im afraid I have to accept Ill be this size. Its so frustrating.
  • edited December 2011
    Ladies, I know we all want to be picture perfect skinny for our wedding days.... but remember one thing.... your FI loves you no matter how you look on that day!  Being healthy is important, but even if you dont lose those last 10, 20, 50 lbs..... you will still be married to the love of your life! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Good point, angweilk! I know he'll love me no matter what, but I just want to be happy with myself again. I have such low self-esteem now and feel uncomfortable in everything I put on. I'm so tired of feeling like that! But, I think we all need that reminder every once in a while that regardless of how we feel about ourselves, our FIs love us! :)Sgt. Pepperette, I'm so sorry that you have to deal with all of that. It must be really frustrating! I hope that things get better for you. You're going to look beautiful on your wedding day, so don't stress. :)
  • edited December 2011
    I empathize, as we all can, with you! I bought my dress last June, before we even set a date! Well, the holidays came and went and I put on about 15 pounds. I absolutely knew I had to get that off to be able to fit into my dress. It took me about three or four months, but I've managed to lose the 15 pounds and then some. When I finally tried my dress on again (first time in a year), it was loose and now the sides have to be taken in! In terms of working out, you want a good mix of cardio and strength training. The cardio helps burn off the fat and simple weight lifting will build muscle, which in turn raises your metabolism, allowing your body to burn more. Try to vary your workouts too. Push-ups (even the girlie ones) can really help tone your arms. Squats and lunges will help tone your legs and glutes. Use smaller weights with higher reps to get your muscles leaner instead of bulking up. Eat This, Not That is an awesome resource. They also have a supermarket edition, which helps you pick the best option among tons of different brands. It also includes several healthy and easy recipes. Try to cut out a lot of the processed foods you're eating. If you're a big soda drinker, you could easily lose 5 pounds by cutting that out. It's hard, I know, but it really worked for me. Chips, candy, desserts all add bad calories, sugars and carbs. To kick start your weight loss, you could try sticking to lean proteins, such as chicken and certain fish, and lots of fresh green vegetables will really help. Green vegetables work as natural diuretics and flushes lots of stuff out of your system.Make sure you drink a ton of water! All day long! I hope this helps!
  • edited December 2011
    That's awesome that you were able to lose that in such a short time! It makes me feel like I can do it when I see other people that have! :) I only drink water or iced tea, but definitely don't drink enough throughout the day, which I'm assuming doesn't help! I drink maybe 3 glasses of water a day... max. A girl I go to school with is on a low fat diet, which I'm wondering if anyone has tried. She eats 27g of fat or less per day. She lost 30 lbs doing it. Idk if its better to do a low fat, low calorie, or low carb diet. It seems like there are so many different ways to eat healthier that I don't know what to look for. I'm not a seafood person, so is chicken all I can eat meat-wise?I'm beginning to see how this a life-style change! lol
  • edited December 2011
    If your a seafood person you have plenty of options! Shrimp, salmon, tilapia (ok I have no clue how to spell that!) are all great sources of protein.You should try to focus on eating healthy and low fat. Good fats are fine, you just want to avoid saturated fats. Low carb will just make you cranky and in my experience it makes my cravings way worse. I'm def. going to have to pick up the PPs mentioned eat this not that, I love that section in my Glamor mag. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you! I get so confused trying to figure out what to watch... fats, carbs, calories. It seems like there's a diet for each one! I'll stick with cutting out high fat foods.. and I'm going to go find that book asap! Thanks girls! Hopefully I'll be able to share some skinny wedding pictures with all of you in a few months! :)
  • edited December 2011
    If you use a website, like sparkpeople.com to track you eating, it lets you put in your current weight and where you want to be.  It tells you how many net calories (you should eat more when you exercise) to lose the weight.  It alos shows you the % of fat, carbs and proteins you ate that day and how that fits into what you should be eating.  I am bad about tracking, but it really is a great website!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, bschrang. I know that I definitely had a defeatist attitude at times. It's sooo easy to put the weight on and twice as hard to take it off. Use your wedding as motivation and you'll do awesome! GL!
  • MrsWeber2beMrsWeber2be member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a little late but after getting my dress and seeing how much weight I had gained I really got hooked into working out.  It started with bodybuilding dot com then from there I sought help from this guy I found on the site.  His site it fitnesspoynters dot com.  He has work-out plans and meal plans.  I have to say I'm having a hard time sticking to the meal plan after about 3 weeks, however in a 3 week time I dropped 13 pounds.  Now that I've been cheating ALOT on my meals I've been stuck and haven't lost more or gained any, however my body fat % continues to decrease.  It really is a lifestyle change.  When I started I worked out 4 days a week.  Now he has me on 6 days a week.  My exercise routine changes every 2 weeks to keep my body in shock.  If you don't have a gym membership but have equipment at home he can still provide a plan.  I eat lots of protein and eat 6x a day every 2-3 hours to keep the metabolism going.  It's very important to eat as soon as you get up.  I also use protein shakes for my #2 meal and after my workout.  HTH.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards