Tennessee

Uneeded Stress

I always said that I did not want to get stressed about planning a wedding, but all of a sudden, here it is. Every venue that I show to my parents is great at first, and then they call me days later and say they don't like it. Any advice on finding some kind of compromise between my parents and my fiancee's parents??? I really feel a lot of pressure right now....who knew this would be so hard? I am supposed to be having fun and enjoying this, and all I can do is worry about everyone's opinions, especially my parents because they are paying for the majority of the wedding. Help!

Re: Uneeded Stress

• eastTNbrideeastTNbride member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would recommend sitting them all down and reminding them why you are getting married and tell them exactly what YOU (and FI) want. It is YOUR day after all. Tell them that you value their input and want their ideas and suggestions, but they are going to stress you out by making you doubt all your decisions and creating unnecessary drama. Deep down, they probably just want you to be happy and are a little sad to see their "little girl" getting married, thus being grown-up and not as dependent on Dear Sweet Mom and Pops.
  • edited December 2011
    ultimately the compromise should be between the parents and you- because it is your wedding. Their concerns could be legitimate... and you gotta remember they are about to "give" you away... Just try to listen to what everyone is saying, hopefully they can see that this wedding should be about you, and not them. its hard to say without knowing your parents,but I'm sure they just want you to be happy!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mwhitson14mwhitson14 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know exactly how you feel, FI and I have completely reconsidered our wedding plans with 10 weeks to go to try and accommodate budget changes and still make everyone else happy. It sucks, but all I can say is that we just care about being married at the end of the day.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • ezenashezenash member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hear you! I have tried not to be stressed out, but I am! I know I have over a year to have all this worked out, but I know there is sooo much to think about! I have a future monther in law that is being VERY meddling. She told me how she expects us to have a huge church wedding with her choir, and nothing less. She was very angry with me when I told her that my fiancee and me are not interested in that. He reinforced this to her. I feel like everyone is trying to shove their ideas and dreams on this wedding very forcefully. People are trying to talk us out of some our our ideas and what not. I love hearing other people's ideas but I don't want anyone to force their ideas on us. When it comes down to it, it is what you and your mate want. It is nice for your parents and in laws to give their input but it is YOUR day. I know you probably don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but if maybe they should be reminded that it is what you and your fiancee want, not them! You don't want to think one day, "Man, I should have done that instead,"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards