Second Weddings
Options

Hi again! (LONG)

I've been gone from the board for awhile (married to my wonderful hubby for almost 4 months!) but something is bugging me and this felt like the right place to talk about it.The "old-timers" will probably remember the drama surrounding my mom's cancer diagnosis a month before our wedding.  We ended up having to change some things around but it all came together at the last minute and the day went off without a hitch, it really couldn't have been more perfect.  My issue concerns the day after the wedding.  I didn't mention it in my posts right afterwards because it was too hard to talk about, but here's what happened:Sunday morning we check out of the hotel and take a few guests to the airport, return Charles' tux, then come home to drop off my dress and pick up our honeymoon bags.  My mom calls and asks when we are coming to get my son's tux as it has to be returned by noon.  The plan was supposed to be that she was going to return it, but I guess we got our wires crossed.  It's already 11 and we're all the way across town, but I haul a$$ to get over to her house to pick up the tux.  When I get there, she's already left to take it back herself.  What the eff?  Why I didn't just leave at that point, I'll never know.  Instead, I wait for her to come back.  I hear them pull in and my grandmother comes in first and says "I can't believe what you have put your poor mother through this weekend".  Excuse me?  All my mother was asked to do was show up for the wedding itself on Saturday and return the kiddo's tux on Sunday.  We took everything else out of her hands.  But that isn't where it ends.  From there they (mom and both grandparents) proceed to berate me on what a waste of time and money our wedding was and how I should be ashamed that we inconvenienced so many people "just so Andi could be 'princess for a day'".  Now I don't recall hold a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to attend our wedding.  The people who showed up appeared to want to be there.  Some of them even (gasp!) brought gifts.  The vendors certainly didn't seem to be inconvenienced.  And while we did have a lot of bells and whistles (like flowers and a cake and champagne and stuff) it certainly wasn't extravagant.  And we didnt' ask anyone to help us pay for it.  Now at this point I'm a newlywed for approximately 18 hours and about to leave on my honeymoon, but when they finished reaming me out about how disgraceful that was, they still had enough juice to start in on me personally...how selfish I am and how I use people and will never change and how my new husband will see through it and my marriage will be over in no time. This literally goes on for an hour.  When they finally run out of steam I'm sobbing, snotting, and can barely speak.  Finally my mom tells me to "just go, and I don't want your help (while she's undergoing treatment for her cancer).  It will be a long time before you hear from me again" like I was the one who had done something to her!!!I felt violated, like I had literally been beaten up.  I cried halfway to Miami and I'm still SO ANGRY with my mom and grandparents that I can hardly breathe when I think about it.  And, selfish as it is--and I admit that, neither Mom nor grandparents gave us so much as a congratulatory card.  I know wedding gifts are completely voluntary, but you'd think your own mother would at least fork over $3.50 at Hallmark.What do y'all think?  Am I being ridiculous?  Should I just get over it (not that I'm not trying).  Thanks for letting me vent.

Re: Hi again! (LONG)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    No you are not being ridiculous, but yes, you should get over it.  That was aweful!  I'm so sorry you had to go through this, especially so close to your wedding.  BUT, what are you going to do about it?  Your mother has cancer, and I've learned that you will not be able to make people appoligize, no matter how terrible their comments were.  So if you want any kind of relationship with her, you're going to have pretend it didn't happen.I'm really sorry this happened to you.  I don't think you're being dramatic.  I would be really upset, too.  But if your relationship heals at all, maybe you will be able to look back on your wedding without this ordeal being the highlight.
  • Options
    nyreknyrek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just lost my father on June 25 after a 3 year battle with esophageal cancer.  Many times my father would berate me for something like buying him ensure.  I mean scream at me for half an hour for it.  I left his place many times in tears.  At one point he yelled that I wasn't the one dying from cancer...and I screamed back "But I still have to live with it!" I look back now and realize that he was scared, and in pain, and just plain miserable. That was sometimes how he needed to vent.  I'd give anything to hear him yell at me one more time.Let it go. Go to your mom, apologize (even if there's nothing to apologize for), and let her know you love her and will always be there for her no matter what.  Your days with her are not infinite. Love her and just accept her, flaws and all, while you can.Good luck. (And FYI...I would have been pissed too at first!)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Vacation tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards