Wisconsin
Options

Need help from Milwaukee-ans Re: stinky lake

Hi everyone. I would love to have my reception at the war memorial in downtown Milwaukee, but I am concerned about the smell. You know how that whole area down there by lake Michigan reeks in the summer because of the sewer water they dump into the lake? It's not every time I go down there, but it definately happens. The last thing I want is for it to smell like sewer at my wedding!

So I pose these questions hoping people that live by the lake could help me:

-Is it only certain months of the summer that it stinks? (I'm looking at June)
-Is it only when it's been hot recently? (In which case I'm screwed because I can't predict the weather for next year!)

Please help! Thanks!

Re: Need help from Milwaukee-ans Re: stinky lake

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well i'm having my reception at the lake, and i'm not going to let it steal my joy..the view is beautiful..
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The smell is actually from the algae that grows naturally in the Lake.  Some years it's not so bad, other years it's downright putrid!  The County Parks sometimes puts some stuff down to kill it, but some years it's just too much for them to handle.  

Plan by the Lake, and roll the dice.  It could be snake eyes, or lucky seven!

Good luck.

142 Ready To Celebrate! image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    BackpackersBackpackers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    While it is disgusting, it's not sewage. It's an algae.  http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water/greatlakes/cladophora/

I can tell you that right now, it stinks to high heaven. However, I think in July it's not so bad.  Also, it's not as bad depending on where you are along the shore. I think the War Memorial might be in an OK area?

On top of all that, I agree with the PP and whatever happens, don't let it ruin your day.
  • Options
    Alyssa0421Alyssa0421 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just had our wedding on May 29th at the War Memorial. We had a beautiful, 75 degree and sunny day. Our cocktail hour was on Fitch Plaza overlooking the lake and we got so many compliments on the venue. I didn't notice a smell at all and no one else commented on one. I wouldn't worry about it at all. The venue provides such great views and atmosphere, especially if you can utilize the plaza.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good to know! I'm getting married out on Fitch Plaza on May 21, 2011!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011

A lot of it depends on the way the wind is blowing too. I think it is much worse when you are right on Bradford Beach. I have noticed when you get to the War Memorial the smell is usually gone. So I am sure it will be just fine.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If that is where you want it... then do it.

If you are worried about the smell, have your wedding in the domes or somewhere indoors and air conditioned.

The view there is amazing and that is what you will remember...

Congratulations and have fun!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! I'm feeling a little better about it. I heard from quite a few people that thought it was mainly just at bradford beach. I think I'm going to go for it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been to the lakefront a bunch of times in the past 3 years that I have lived here and never noticed the smell. I am also getting married at the War memorial in October on Fitch Plaza. Hopefully that won't be a problem. The view is beautiful though! I would say go for it. Also, talk to Amanda at the War Memorial. She will help ease any of your worries :o)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I work on the south side of milwaukee just a few blocks away from the War Memorial (imagine the northernmost section of summerfest to jones island) That is the by far the worst end of the smell. I have played concerts at the WM  and have never noticed a smell. I proposed to my FI at McKinley and despite the water being a bit murky I didn't notice a smell there either. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards