November 2011 Weddings

Wine Poll

It may be a bit early to be concerned about this, but I kind of have to worry about it all at once, so...opinions please:
The venue provides bottled water and punch. We are allowed to bring in beer, wine, and champagne as far as alcohol goes. The planner/coordinator suggested that we bring blush wines because of the season. I'm mostly a red drinker, and I'm fine with this, but do you think guests will expect something else?

Anniversary
November 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Cocktail:White Russian
Photobucket

Re: Wine Poll

• It wouldn't be the end of the world, but I know some people very much prefer one over the other. I prefer red myself too. I would drink the blush if that's all there was available, but I'd be happier if you had red. Of course I would not complain or anything though.
    Nov 2011 Brides - Fav Cocktail
    Pomegranate Margarita
  • Personally I have not had a blush wine that I liked, so I would not drink if that was all I was offered.  I've also never heard of blush being the "seasonal" wine for that time of the year, but I'm not completely versed on my wine etiquette.  That said, I do not need wine to have a good time, nor do your guests.  I think if you can budget for it, you should include more choices, but it is ultimately up to you.  You know the tastes of your guests better than we do -- would people be put off if they were only given the choice of blush wine?  Or would it really not be that big of a deal?

What food are you serving?  That might also give you some help with what wine to serve.
    Anniversary

• I don't think it's a huge deal, but I would definitely prefer a choice of either a white or a red. I'm not a huge fan of blushes, but am also not so picky that I wouldn't just drink whatever what served and be a happy camper. 
  • McHottsMcHotts
    10 Comments
    I really don't think Blush wines area good compromise. The people who like white will not like it as much, and the people who like red, same. Like PP, I do not think of Blush as seasonal, I just think of it as a poor attempt to compromise, but I haven't had blush wine since I was drinking it out of a box in college, and that is what I will always think of when I am served a blush wine.
    Married the love of my life November 2011
    TTC #1 since June 2012

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

TTGP March Siggy Challenge:

• Keep in mind your guests..... Do you know their drinking habits and whether they prefer red/white.. or maybe they are only beer drinkers.... 

We aren't having tons of wine at our wedding because our families are primarily beer drinkers (we are having like 2 kegs and and a bunch of cases of misc. beer- don't worry ladies, it will all be behind the bar served by a bartender.... no keg stands at my wedding!!! LOL). But my Dad is picking up like 3 cases of red and 3 cases of white wine... We aren't even doing a blush, because no one in my family really likes it. But that is just my family... everyone has their own preference. 

Also keep in mind where you get the alcohol from a lot of places will let you return unopened cases (COSTCO!!!!!) So while you might put a lot of $$ out up front to make sure you are supplying enough of a variety- you can get your $$ back if it isn't opened. 
    image November 2011 Siggy: Cake!!!! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have only really gotten into wines recently, but I can't say I am a big blush fan. It's just rare that I seem to taste a good blush. That being said, I would drink it if it was all that was there. And I wouldn't complain, because free wine is free wine and I'm not rude like that.

I do think the in season thing is B.S. though.
    -This is not legal advice- Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic larger_image
  • I prefer white overall. I think you would be able to make all of your guests happy if you have all three. So, if you were going to get 9 bottles get 3 of the same red, 3 white and 3 blush. Like  PP said do you know what your guests will like. That may make this a lot easier for you.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm a white wine person myself.  I would drink blush if that's all that were available, but I'd much rather prefer white wine. 

I also ditto the Costco thing....that's really helpful when buying your own liquor.  My boss recently had a party at his house and waaaay overbought, he ended up returning over $400 of wine (even after their 80 guests were all effectively hammered).  It's just a nice reassurance that you can pay upfront to have the variety you want and not have to worry about getting stuck with the excess....
    Anniversary
  • HaylaCHaylaC
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    are you suddenly getting married in july? as thats when rose is in season.  i totally agree with the others, people who drink wine will want either red or white, i dont know many people who willingly choose rose.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Honeymoon Sunset

Anniversary

• I think their should be a selection of red and white if you can budget for it!
    November 2011 Siggy - My Love and I

PhotobucketPhotobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker

Our wedding date is November 18th, 2011

451 invited 314 Are ready to party! 61 can't make it 77 is MIA
    RSVP Date October 31st, 2011

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Not a big deal, but a selection would be nice. Like Koda said at least one red, and one white. But, if you can afford to do more than that, and wouldn't mind spending that money there, then go for more.
  • thanks ladies! I really had never heard of blush being "in season" for late fall either, but she seemed to take it very seriously, so I thought maybe she was more well-versed than I am...apparently not. I really don't care that much about blush myself, just don't think I would mind if that's what I was offered. But seeing as how everyone seems to think she's ridiculous, we'll probably stick with some choices in white and red. I think the vast majority of FI's friends will mostly be beer drinkers anyway, and most of my family doesn't drink.
    Anniversary
    Photobucket
  • jcg98jcg98
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Red and white wine and beer.  Can't go wrong there!  Most crowds will find something they like.  :)

I'm really curious where she got the blush being in season!

• In Response to Re: Wine Poll:
    I think their should be a selection of red and white if you can budget for it!
    Posted by kris_tee
    I agree.  I know more people who like red or white... never blush.  Maybe a nice Shiraz and a Pinot Grigio?

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Wine Poll:
    In Response to Re: Wine Poll : Rose is often suggested for Thanksgiving dinner since it pairs so well with turkey. Maybe she assumed November wedding=Thanksgiving. 
    Posted by kodakitty
    Maybe...except she's helping to set up the menu too, so she should know it isn't Thanksgiving...oh well, since we'll be purchasing it and taking it to her at the rehearsal the night before, there really isn't anything she can do about us not following her "suggestion"

For the record, we are looking at including other non-alcoholic options as well :)
    Anniversary
    Photobucket
  • Is blush == rose?

Personally, I would prefer red...but if there's no red, i would go for white.  I don't like to go in between.

• I think the kind of wine you serve should depend on what type of food you are serving, certain wines go better with certain foods. In the same breath, however, my mother informed me that we HAD to serve both red and white becuase not everyone likes one or the other.

If it were up to be I would just serve red at our wedding :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I consider blush wines to be wine for people who don't like wine...  I say this because I don't like wine and I drink roses, but I prefer beer ;)

I would do 1 white & 1 red if you can.
    Anniversary

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards