Jewish Weddings

NWR: Vent about Offensive Billboard

Hey girls, I haven't posted on this board in a while. I was married last November. I wanted to talk about something religion related, so I thought I'd come here and see what you all think.I live in Tampa, FL and on my drive to work this morning, I noticed this new billboard on I-75. It said in huge letters "This is a Christian State." The website referenced was noseparation.org . I don't usually get up in arms about things like this, but that billboard caused my blood to boil. In the few seconds that it registered in my line of sight, I felt so extremely angry. The main thought that ran through my head was "I'm Jewish. So if this is a so-called 'Christian state', do I not belong here? Am I not welcome?" I felt like I'd been slapped in the face.I'm not saying that THAT'S necessarily how you're supposed to take the billboard, but that's how I took it. I know that the people invested in that cause believe that our nation was founded on Christian principles, and those principles help it thrive, etc. I'm not sure how I feel about that. But I just know that I felt really hurt and sad when I saw that billboard.I found this article about the billboard on my local news site:http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/article1020144.eceAnyway, this just made me upset. Was wondering what you all thought. As it is, there's a confederate flag on the side of I-75, just a little ways up from this new billboard. It's such a classy stretch of road!Thanks for letting me vent.

Re: NWR: Vent about Offensive Billboard

• MoFreeMoFree member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with how offensive that billboard is. When they say "Christian" they are referring to a particular type, born again, homophobic, anti-black, anti-Latino, anti-Asian, anti gay, antisemitic and anti anything and everyone who does not agree with their worldview.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    OMG, that is terrible.  i would totally be offended too!!!  Unfortunately there are so many people that live in the U.S. and think it's a christian society.  People are ignorant and need to embrace diversity!!
  • ShoshieShoshie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have they not seen boca? ;)Christian state my @ss.I would be angered, too.
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How obnoxious!  They even refer to the "Judeo-Christian foundation," but don't seem to know that is supposed to include Jewish as well as Christian.  And Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Pagans, etc., just don't seem to exist in their world.
  • edited December 2011
    haha with so many Jews in FL... If I saw that I would be pretty upset too!
  • zobo410zobo410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm down here in Boca. I would like to see them try and get anything like that close to here!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Where exactly were you, because the more rural you get, the more I would expect that. unfortunately, anyone can buy a billboard.....
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • lauren9317lauren9317 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Joelsgirl! :) This was on 75 S probably a little after the Fowler and Fletcher exits. Going towards Brandon, almost getting to the I-4 exit. Apparently there are more around town. I'm gonna have to pass the f*cking thing every day on my way to work, can't WAIT!!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    It may be obnoxious to some, but without saying anything else overtly offensive, I'm still very much about free speech.  In this case, most anyone can rent out a billboard, so for the company it's about $$. Just the other side; the sign easily could have said this is a Muslim town, etc. etc., and I might not approve but barring something overtly in-your-face offensive, I'd just hope it didn't stay up for very long.
  • lauren9317lauren9317 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It never even ocurred to me to vent about being upset that the billboard is there to begin with. I totally get that any moron can buy ad space. It just makes me annoyed that organizations like noseparation.org even exist to begin with. I'm annoyed that I have to see something that offensive because there are humans that believe that crap.On a positive note, I didn't even notice the billboard today! I hope that happens every day! :D
  • edited December 2011
    I am shocked, and that is such a naive thing to write.but remember, if people are having trouble believing an idea, that is why people try to push it with advertising. its too bad that it is up here, but we live in a free country so that is some of the price we have to pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards