Wedding Etiquette Forum

Compassionate Release

13»

Re: Compassionate Release

• I'm not claiming that his illness IS his punishment.I am saying that what he's going to go through - regardless of where he is - for the next three months is going to be worse than anything he'd experience in a prison.  Unless, you know, he got beaten daily or something.The thing is that people seem to take comfort in the fact that this man is being punished and sitting in a jail cell.  The reality is that this disease is going to mean that he only ever serves 8 years for his crime, regardless.  Getting an extra three months while watching him die in prison is pretty pointless in the grand scheme of things.If it's all about time served, be angry that his death is robbing you of time he should be serving.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • The Scots and the British have used the compassionate release several times before.  This, I believe, is the first time it was something so high profile and controversial.  In order for an inmate to be released early, based on compassionate grounds, they literally have to have a death sentence, and not be expected to live more than 3 months.  At least, that's what I got from watching the press conference held today.
  • Okay, thanks wading...I misunderstood what you said. I think you're right that people seem to take comfort in the fact that he's locked up. Personally, I would take comfort in the fact that he was dead over that, if my loved ones were involved. And I think Amoro is right - compassionate release happens more often than we hear about, just not in higher profile cases. I'm sure the situation isn't any different for the victims' families, regardless if the person killed one or hundreds. I'm still really up in the air though. Do they think his level of comfort (if not care) would increase if he were released? Because if being in prison with that illness means he's more uncomfortable, then I wouldn't want that.
  • I think there's a certain level of implied comfort in being around your friends and family, but at some point, that just won't matter anymore.  I very seriously doubt that the care he will get in Libya is anything like he would receive in Scotland.  He's going to be in a whole lotta pain for the next three months.  If he lives that long.
  • I don't agree with the idea that his cancer is basically karma's way of punishing him. Lots of really great, non-murdering people get cancer. Many of them don't even have access to the kind of treatment he was gettingin prison. The fac that he is suffering now does not erase the fact that he willingly made others suffer. I agree that harboring hatred for someone isn't healthy, and doesn't lead to acceptance. However, the intent of his sentence is that he would spend the rest of his life in prison. Maybe karma is being merciful in making that stay shorter. Or would have been, if he wasn't getting out anyway. I'm sorry, but although I have compassion for his illness, I do not think he deserves to be out of prison based on that illness.
  • I don't think anyone mentioned karma.

• Regardless of what the individual did, does, serves, etc. - forgiveness has nothing to do with that. Hanging on to something someone else did and not forgiving them is allowing them to have control over you and your emotions forever. I'm not saying you have to forget or condone (actually I'm not saying you have to forgive either). Just saying it's not a healthy way to live.
  • Retread, SHE is claiming she has a certain amount of time to live.  I put much less credence in that claim than I do the claim of the doctors that are treating the guy in Scotland.If his cancer has stopped responding to treatment, then his life is limited. 

• I'm late to this, but wanted to put my two cents in. I saw this on the news this morning and was very disappointed. Personally, I don't think very highly of terrorists and IMO, he lost the right to die with his family in his homeland when he killed 270 innocent people. And no, I am not getting lost in the hatred - I just think that this is an injustice and as PP said, a life sentence is a life sentence. 8 years in jail for the murder of 270 people is just sickening. And if we used the logic that we become no better than a criminal when we get lost in hatred for everything, then every criminal who has harmed others should be released from jail and remain a danger to society- right? Plus, who is to say he won't go on a suicide mission now? No one knows for sure and no one can say that this won't happen.
  • he lost the right to die with his family in his homeland when he killed 270 innocent people. Nice summary -- I think you expressed it perfectly.
  • To clarify- the comment was made that his cancer is his punishment. That's what I meant about "karma." Cancer isn't a punishment. Cancer is an unfortunate illness that afflicts many, many people.
  • I get that people think he needs to be punished for what he did, but I think that the next 3 months will do more to punish him than anything he would've experienced in prison.All right.  That there is what I said.  I did not say that this was his punishment.  I said that what he is going to go through in the next 3 months is much worse than anything he'd experience in prison.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards