Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Communion during the ceremony?

My fiance and I really want to do communion during our ceremony, but we would like suggestions on how to go about it.  Our pastor told us that we should offer an open communion where the guests can take it with us if they wish to.  I have no problem with this, but I am curious as to who should serve it to them.  We are only having two ushers, so it would be difficult for them to pass out the sacraments to everyone.  Should we have the guests come to the front of the church and be served instead?  Also, how can we word it in the program so that people who don't want to take communion won't feel uncomfortable?  We don't want to force it upon anyone!  Has anyone here been to weddings where they do communion?  How'd they do it?  Thanks for the advice!

Re: Communion during the ceremony?

• I would ask the pastor if there are any Eucharistic Ministers available to help out. And (s)he can give you some program good wording as well.In the Catholic religion, only certified Eucharistic Ministers can distribute Communion. But since you said "pastor," I'm assuming you're not Catholic, so I don't know if any ol' person in your religion can give out Communion. Again, talk to the pastor and see.
  • I'm an organist in a Presbyterian Church and I've never seen communion at one of our weddings.  I'm not sure at all that it would be permitted.  And only ordained elders can actually serve communion.I was MOH at my best friend's Lutheran wedding, and we did have communion, served by the Pastor.Your pastor is a better resource here than we are.  Talk to him about the logistics of having an open table.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I'm Presbyterian as well. My son is getting married and we are considering communion as well. Talk w/ your minister/priest and see what is allowed in you faith. I was going to ask our Elders who normally serve communion to serve it at the wedding. As for the program, I would word it as is allowed by your religion. Our minister always say, "Communion is open to any baptised beliver in Christ. " You could indicate that they come forward in your bulletin as well. Our church is open to others of Christ faith to participate in communion. Of course discuss these options with your minister. Every church as certain rituals they do. I think it is wonderful if you want to offer communion. I have been to at least one wedding that they did it. It can be a very beautiful meaning part of your service. God Bless
    Let the Lord Lead... and follow Him.
  • From the other side of the aisle.  :-)  As one who grew up in a Christian church in which communion was not symbolized by a cracker but was a meditation, I always felt uncomfortable when attending weddings that had communion.  A circle of my friends were attending a bunch of weddings, and we used to all sit in the same pew, and call it the "Heathen pew" because none of us would take communion.  Very uncomfortable.  And worse now that I'm not a Christian.  I would not expect any guests to do the cakes and ale rite during my handfasting, so I'm not sure it should be included for all guests in a wedding.  Just a thought.
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Thank you for all of the replies!We are Methodist, and the Methodist church's main rule about it is that an ordained minister must bless it before it is passed out, but the ordained minister doesn't necessarily have to be the one passing it out.  I recognize how some people may be uncomfortable with this, and I don't want to make anyone feel bad about being the minority of people who are sitting down while others go forward (assuming most will).  That is why I would prefer to pass the elements to the people, but I'm not sure who I should have pass them.  The ushers?  There are only two, so can I add the groomsmen?  The actual minister of the church has never seen this done before, although there are guidelines for communion during weddings in his hymnal.  He likes the idea, but he can't offer us much help as to how to go about giving it to the people other than an ordained minister must bless it.  He is not the one who is actually marrying us, though.  My pastor from home is.  He has seen it done several times, but it's only been given to the bride and groom in those instances.  I would be fine with this, but the minister of the church says that we should have an open communion for any follower of Christ since, after all, communion is usually shared among believers. 
  • Maybe your pastor could arrange for a private Communion session before/after your ceremony if you and your FI are the only ones who would be partaking.
  • I've seen communion done at several (protestant) ceremonies, and none of them have included communion for the whole crowd. It has typically taken the place of the lighting of the unity candle, and been a very intimate time for the bride and groom. Typically they go to the side/behind where they stand for their vows and kneel (if you have a train, make sure to practice the kneeling with your MOH a few times ahead of time - those trains are dangerous!!) to take it from the pastor.
  • I've been to two weddings where they did communion.  One in a Catholic Church where we weren't allowed to partake since we weren't Catholic and the other in a Lutheran Church where the Catholics didn't partake (not really sure why).  Both had the guests line up and walk to the front of the church where the Priest handed out the sacrament and assistant held the wine.  It was a communial cup.  It does take some time to do this.  To be honest, not offensive, unless there is a relgious reason for all of your guests to partake I would skip it.  You can do a personal communion where just the two of you have the bread and wine if it's a personal reason.  To be honest was uncomfortable to be in a Catholic Church and be told you can't partake because you're not Catholic and then to have to sit there for the 20 min while everyone else went up.  You can't avoid that if people don't want to partake they won't.  HHTH
  • I've been to a few weddings where there was communion. The pastor just announced that the couple chose to have an open communion for all believers in Christ who wished to take it. Those who wanted to take it come up front to take it. At both weddings, I had friends that did not partake in it for differing beliefs (one is an athiest, one is Jewish), but they did not feel offended or awkward.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards