Chinese Weddings

Red Envelope box/cage security

I will have security at my wedding, but I am just worried about all that money in the card box. The venue rep said not to worry, because of their security will be there the whole time and my reception area is protected by security so that no random people will be nearby. My worry is that some waiter will want to steal it or something crazy like that. Probably would never happen, but they do sell wedding insurance for a reason, don't they?Does anybody else fear for their red envelopes? Do you have a lock on the card box? Or did you ask a parent to store them in the car or something? Any ideas are welcome.
imageimage

Re: Red Envelope box/cage security

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our reception was at a hotel and the package included a room at the hotel on the night of the wedding. Between some friends and my cousins, I had people watching the card box the entire cocktail hour. Then I asked my brother to take the card box to our hotel room once everyone was seated, just before dinner started. Most guests dropped off their card before dinner anyway; the very few who arrived late handed us the cards personally.If you don't have a hotel room to take the gifts to, ask the venue for a locked room (like a dressing room or something).I've heard of wedding gifts and card boxes being stolen, so it's good that you're thinking of this!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    I was pretty nervous about this myself. We had the cardbox in the cocktail lounge during the cocktail hour, but as soon as that was up, my mother's fiancee (a cop) took the box into the actual ballroom. He watched it from there. We went around from table to table to collect those that weren't deposited into the box (there were actually quite many) and he kept taking them to the box. Immediately after we stopped visiting tables, he took them to our suite.
  • edited December 2011
    We didn't have a cardbox b/c of safety issues.  Towards the end of the night guests gave their cards and lai see to us and our parents.  My mom carried an evening bag with her that fit most of the cards and our dads carried the rest in their tuxedo jacket pockets for the duration of the night.   
  • bbyxbo0bbyxbo0 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Another idea I got from a coordinator is to have someone in charge who will deposit the contents in the card box into a safe (at another location, perhaps your suite) periodically throughout the night. That way, if it does get stolen, it won't be the entire gift collection. I might do this, just because I've heard you will be getting red envelopes throughout the night (not just at the beginning) so you may need to have the card box with you all night.
  • tohruchantohruchan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we collected envelopes from table to table, but many had given the envelopes to my inlaws before hand as well. my sister and cousin collected the money and put them in a gift bag, then we locked it up in a room in the restaurant which they gave us the key for. sometime during the night i think my parents took the bag and locked it up in their car. i was sorta nervous about this at first too, but my parents are pretty vigilant about money so they made sure it was safe.     
  • edited December 2011
    I like the idea of someone going around with the box/bag to collect every bodies envelopes/cards. I just hope that wouldn't make anyone feel uncomfortable if they are the only one at a table with nothing to give. I bet one half of the guests will give red envelopes and the other half will wonder what they missed.My hotel room will most likely be a 10 minute ride away, and I would hate for people to miss parts of the reception to do my dirty work. But I think I feel a little more comfortable after  you mentioned that your parents put it in the car. Whomever has the best car alarm system in the family gets to keep my money! Our Groomsman/Caterer parking area is actually right next to the bathrooms.Once again, Thank you ladies! Love your ideas as always!
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards