Jewish Weddings
Options

Ketubah signers

I heard that ketubah signers cannot be related to you? Is this true? Any insight on this would be great!

Re: Ketubah signers

• Options
    ShoshieShoshie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yup -- that's true. They are supposed to be "neutral" -- so no one related to either the bride or the groom. From Ketubbahmaven.com:Theoretically, the role of the witness is to help the couple to stick to the agreement they make by signing the ketubah (i.e., honor the terms of the marriage). Since it is assumed that one’s family can already be counted on to do that (in a perfect world), one would choose trusted friends outside the family to witness the signing of the ketubah.)
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So is it tacky to have my MOH be a ketubah signer as well? I honestly don't think I would want anyone else that isn't already being honored.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think its fine to have your MOH sign the ketubah. Fi is having his best man sign the ketubah, I'm not because my MOH is my sister. My witness is one of my bms.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    depends on how religious you are, but technically the witness/signer should be1) Jewish2) Not related to you or FI3) MaleIf you are Reform, I think you can get away with #1 and #2.  Many women sign ketubah these days.
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely check with your rabbi, since there is a lot of variation on this.  Also, some rabbis will allow more than two people to sign the ketubah as witnesses, in which case they may be more lenient about the "extras."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto BallandChain, though some Conservative rabbis will be a bit lenient in regards to the rules.  This is something you must discuss with your rabbi; until you do, don't ask anyone to sign if you'll feel bad having to tell the person she/he can't. We haven't spoken to our rabbi, but have out basis covered.  It's tough because many of FI's friends/family aren't observant.  But at least we'll have one observant male, and a non-relative male (who happens to also be his BM) - if we need it.  Otherwise, it'll be his BM and a good friend of mine, who is a Jewish female.  Then my MOH will sign off on other things, and probably his BM as well.  GL.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We met with a conservative Rabbi recently and he said that my witness can be a female as long as she is Jewish. I think it depends on the Rabbi though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't really plan my signers at all. I hadn't realized how many spaces we had for signers on the ketubah. We were counting on his best friend and my best friend (both Jewish males) signing. Then, the rabbi goes, "Who do you want to have sign the English section?" Uh, different people? Cool! His other good friend (Jewish male) and my good friend signed (Jewish female) that section.THEN, we did the marriage license. He had another friend sign (non-Jewish male) and I had my brother sign.That covered nearly half our wedding party. LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards