South Asian Weddings
Options

What to wear?

I have a question particularly for the Guju/North Indian girls.  Going to a wedding this weekend and have no idea what to wear.  It's a morning ceremony, followed by lunch.  Then a large gap then reception.  I'm used to doing the costume change as a guest, but don't know what to wear!   I want to wear separate outfits for ceremony/reception.  Despite the fact that I have a bunch of Guju friends from college, this is my first full-on Guju wedding!  Typically for South Indian weddings, I usually go with a more traditional southie sari for the ceremony, and then either a dressier chudidhar or lehenga/ghagra for the reception.  Receptions are pretty standard all around, but not sure what to wear for the ceremony.  They're Jain if that matters at all :-)TIA!

Re: What to wear?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    usually my girls and I wear saris to morning ceremonies (guju here) but just of a diff style/tone than a "reception" sari.  maybe a lighter color, not a lot of bling or anything, something light and bright, nothing fancy with like fancy open back blouses or anything.  that stuff we like to save for the reception :)  or if you have a nice churidar that could work too!  im sure you have something suitable in your closet...GL!
  • Options
    Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks shilps!  Yea I wasn't sure if the young adults typically wore sarees or not to the ceremony.  I'm sure virtually anything that I have in my closet is suitable, but I wasn't sure what the "norm" is. :-)    I've mostly only been to south indian or muslim weddings and the range of outfits between the two were pretty different!  Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto on what Shilps said. The morning ceremonies tend to be a bit muted in terms of outfits. But the all the bling comes out for the receptions-sari's, lenghas, anarkalis.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Same as pp -- a sari or a salwar kameez/churidar works. Also, for the day you can wear a brighter, more colorful sari while in the evening it would be more blingy but can be a darker color. I have a bunch of saris that I feel are too bright and could never usually wear but they seem to work really well for those morning weddings!
  • Options
    Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!  Now to go through my closet...
  • Options
    waytobwaytob member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi There   Newbie here, but Guju and Jain to boot...getting married in 3 months! What we wear here (in Kenya, so can only comment on community standards here), saree for wedding and reception as reception is not the usual mad cap dancing affair as in other Indian weddings. I wear more muted colours for the wedding and the brighter palette comes into play for the evening....if however they have a non-traditional reception then a heavier ghagra choli so I can dance
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh come on, I know you got a ton of Saris as wedding gifts!  At least 2 of mine were ones I'd actually wear. Also if the pallu is really nice, I wear it guju style, because it shows it off.  The aunties (south Indian) always say "You have to teach us how to do that!"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards