Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Scottish tartan

Hello,We are doing a Scottish tradition during our ceremony during with the groom's parents drape the family tartan over the bride and groom's shoulders as a way to symbolize them bringing my into their "clan."  Does anyone know where I can find words that go along with this tradition?  I am not Scottish, nor is our officiant, and I need to find something the officiant can say during the ritual.Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!Rebecca 

Re: Scottish tartan

• Hmmm. I'm the secretary for my international clan, and I don't know that there are "official" words. I'll ask.  I didn't do it for my Handfasting (another Celtic tradition) because we had a full-on Pagan ceremony, so it didn't fit in, and because I'm the one who is Scottish, and DH is of German and Ukrainian ancestry.    DH, of course, can now wear my tartan, and does.  :-)  However, I do know the protocol for the tartan sashes, (or fly plaid, as it's also referred to).  ALWAYS wear it over your right shoulder, unless you're a clan chief or married to a clan chief.  The dancers can wear it on their left, but ONLY when they're dancing. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Thank you!! That would be great if you could ask about what to say. I really appreciate it!!
  • I e-mailed a few folks that I know, and no one knew of any official language.  Most said it's similar to the ring exchange, in that you could say whatever you wish.  I'll keep asking around, though, one, in particular, has not responded yet to my e-mail, and I know she and her husband exchanged tartans, because they are both very much into their Scottish heritage and each come from different clans.  He still wears the tartan she gave him on his pipes, and she wears his appropriately even when she's in her own clan tartan.  Hopefully I'll have something to post in a day or so for you. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Thanks again! I appreciate your taking the time and making the efforts to help me out. I look forward to hearing from you again. If it happens that there just isn't specific language, I guess my fiance and I will have to step up our creativity and write something ourselves!
  • See if you find a copy of a book called "The Scottish Bride". (If you really can not find it, put a post up on the Grand Rapids, MI board.  I sent my copy to a B2B there and asked her to pass it onto another B2B after she no longer needed it.) They have an example of how to do that.  (Try Googling "Pinning of the Tartan" ceremony)
  • Thank you so much!  I will look for that book.  I have tried google before but came up empty.  I'll try again, though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards