Military Brides

New to the board!

My names Brittany. My FI is in the Army and deployed. We got engaged just over a month ago on his R&R. We're planning on doing a civil ceremony and then reception for our friends and family. Especially since I will be moving from NJ to CO to join him. :) I am randomly feeling a little crazed about it since it is mostly me and my mother doing everything alone. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Re: New to the board!

• edited December 2011
    welcome :).

you're going to feel "crazed" and overwhelmed at times, but remember to breathe through it all. remind yourself that guys dont really want to be involved with the minor details anyways :).

as for deployments. they aren't easy... but they do end :). i havent seen my fi since sept... but he's coming home in a couple of weeks :). so excited to be reunited with my best friend :). its SUPER overwhelming though, because now im preparing to just completely uproot and move. ive never moved out of LA, so it's going to be quite the experience. the closer it gets, the more nervous/anxious/scared/happy i get. its a rainbow of emotion. but all you can do, really, is roll with the punches :).

best of luck to you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome!!

Hubby and I have been apart more then we've been together. He's stationed in Japan till next Feb (11 months to go!!). I planned everything with our moms, while being AD myself. It will get easier. Just trust your instincts, and remind youself that he probably doesn't have an opinion. Can you email? Keep a list of questions, and email them to him. Or if he can't get emails, write him letters. I know you won't want to waste a short phone call on stuff. Remember to breathe!!! Good Luck!!
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah that is something i've been struggling with too. Is the moving from NY to CA to join him. Im super excited/ but scared at the same time. I'm sure it'll all work out but it good to know im not alone with that feeling!
    August Bride Pictures, Images and Photos Navy Bride Pictures, Images and Photos Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KayGB2012KayGB2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome Brittany!
    I'm recently engaged, too, and will be moving to CO where FI is stationed after graduation.

Although FI isn't currently deployed, planning with him just living on the other side of the country has already proved to be stressful. Like Sami said, can you email him about plans? FI and I were lucky enough that we were able to keep in touch pretty well through email during his first deployment.

Men don't always have a big opinion on the details of a wedding. Maybe you could ask him what things he does have a particular opinion on? For example, I know FI couldn't care less about what kinds of flowers we have, but he loves music and would definitely want to be involved in picking the music for the ceremony and reception.
  • edited December 2011
    Thankfully, his outpost got internet and skype has been our best friend since. And for the most part he is great about keeping in contact (and he just signed on! lol). He apparently gets teased by the other guys for how much he contacts me. But they all love to show up in my camera view when I'm on with him.
     He actually doesn't mind some of the planning, and he has enjoyed commenting on dresses that I have found online and like, which I find amusing. But flowers he could care less about. It's been an interesting process. Now he's debating on wearing his uniform, instead of a tux.
    Kay, where in CO are you moving to?
    And DIamond, NY to CA is a lot more than me, and I know already feel stressed out it. The moving from home part is weird. I drive around and realize I won't be driving the road everyday anymore. Or I'm walking through the house and realize this won't be "my home" anymore, it will be my parents house. And leaving friends and family behind. But at least we all get to be with our men again! Which is all it takes to make it better for me.

• KayGB2012KayGB2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll be moving to the Springs area. FI got PCSed there from GA several months ago.

Glad that he's able to be involved in planning with you! I know it can be stressful and difficult at times with him being deployed, but at least wedding planning can be a bit of a positive distraction.

Good luck with everything!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards