Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Ok to not invite spouses?

I want to be able to invite my co-workers.  I work in a situation that is very close-knit; I cannot invite a couple of them and not everyone.  That's ok, I can swing that.  My question is: Is it at all acceptable to invite the co-worker and not his/her spouse?  At just over $100/head, my wedding is at the top end of my budget and I'm feeling pressure to make sure I only invite people my fiance know and are familiar with.  Anyone have any helpful advice?

Re: Ok to not invite spouses?

• Options
    The answer is no- and think about how offended you'd be if the same happened to you. Personally, I would not invite any coworkers if I was you. If you don't see them outside of work regularly, or you can't see yourself being in touch with them in 5 years after you've moved on from your job, they don't really have a place in a wedding that you're trying to keep small.
  • Options
    Absolutely not!  Couples are a social unit and they are not to be split.Just don't invite any of your coworkers if it's a budgeting problem.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    agree completely with PP's. you can't invite 1 half of a couple. invite them with their spouses, or don't invite any coworkers at all.
    kablah.....that is all.
  • Options
    No, you absolutely have to invite spouses.
  • Options
    Yeah, you need to invite spouses. Are you really close with every single person you work with? I only see two of 50+ coworkers outside of work and they were the only two who got an invite (along with their significant others and kids). As PP said, if they are not someone you don't see socalizing or keeping in touch with after you leave the job, then don't invite them. Hell, I've been at my job 8 years as of next month and I've known a big chunk of them that long. But I used the "do I see them outside of work/will I keep in touch w/them after we move" logic and realized these people are not really a key part of our lives. Yes, I see them and socalize with them during the day, but after I go home, they're not on the agenda.
  • Options
    Ditto the smart ladies above.  You MUST invite married people as a couple.  You must also invite anyone engaged, living with the sig other or in a long term relationship as a couple as well. 
  • Options
    I agree with pp, you MUST invite spouses. I would not invite any of them.
  • Options
    no. its not okay.
  • Options
    How would you feel if your FI got invited to a wedding (after you were married) and you were not allowed to come? andplusalso they probably wont even bother coming.
  • Options
    It's not okay to invite guests without their spouses.Have you considered not inviting co-workers at all?  I understand that you work closely together as professionals.  But if you don't have a social relationship outside the office then you probably won't see them again if you change jobs. 
  • Options
    I think there's actually an Ask Carley Q&A where she says that in the case of a book club or another social group, it's okay not to invite spouses as long as you are eminently clear BEFORE invitations go out that the social unit being invited is the club, not the individual social units that comprise it.  I'm not sure everyone here would agree, though.An office, however, isn't a social unit.  Don't invite them.  If you really want to celebrate with them, bring cake to the office one day soon before or soon after the wedding.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    No it is not acceptable to invite one half of a social unit and disrespect others marriages to and event that celabrates marriage. Better to not invite at all then to invite without spouses.
  • Options
    one thing to think about on your giest list is assume everyone lives till your 50th wedding anniversary. Who do you expect tp invite to your 50th anniversary party. Anyone you do not 3expect to still be close enough to invite to your 50th anniversary party if they are still alive shoudl not be invited to your wedding. ( the if they are still alive is so that people like your great aunt who is 97 can still be invited personally i do not expect her to make it to 147)
  • Options
    Yeah, I would be pretty pissed if FI got an invite to a wedding and I wasn't allowed to come. Not a good move. Either invite no one from work or include thier spouses. I am even having my 18 year old cousins have the option of bringing a date. It they are an adult, and have a SO then they should be invited as well.
  • Options
    You made the choice to have a wedding that costs $100 pp.  You cannot split up any LTR couple just to save money.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Why would ANYONE think this is Ok? Spouses, FI's, couples living together and any other long term couples NEED to be invited with their SO.  If I got an invite to a wedding NOW without FI, I would decline.  How rude.Explain to your co-workers that because of budget issues, you just can't invite everyone you would like to have at the wedding.  Then don't invite any of your co-workers.
  • Options
    a friend of mine did this and i was SHOCKED.  her arguement is that she'd never met the spouses, so most likely tehy woudnt have wanted to come anyway.  its not proper.
  • Options
    NO. I have seen co-workers not come with spouses knowing the couples budget restrictions or the spouse did not want to attend,  but it was their choice.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    They are a social unit.  It is really rude to invite your coworkers without their SOs.  Either include them, or don't invite the coworker at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards