Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Help from any non religious brides!

I know the majority of people here are from the US, but I was hoping some of you might be able to help anyway. I'm from the UK, and really don't want a church or Christian wedding of any sort, but a lot of weddings don't certify as 'legal' in England if done otherwise.Does anyone have any ideas? I really want to get married in this country as I have a big family.Thanks!

Re: Help from any non religious brides!

• Options
    We have similar problems in certain states here in the US, in that if the official performing the ceremony is not a minister associated with a Christian church, nor a Justice of the Peace (Judge) then the marriage is not recognized.   I googled it, and there are Unitarian Universalist churches in the UK. But, don't panic-they're not your usual "church" --they accept everyone, and have service and ceremonies to fit all, agnostic, atheist, christian, jew, pagan, humanist, etc.  I got married the first time in a UU church (I'm not a Christian).   I'm not sure if there's one near you, you'll have to figure that out. Best wishes!
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    You could try looking for people who advertise themselves as "wedding officiants" (not sure what they call themselves in the UK). Most of them are ordained ministers, but will happily do any kind of ceremony you want.
  • Options
    We are getting married by a celebrant who agreed to do some of our pagan traditions. It will be a legal marriage.
    ~Erin~
    proud pagan
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We're using someone from the county we live in to marry us. We aren't religious and want to keep the God stuff to a minimum (maybe some god stuff to appease the parents). So they aren't relgiously affilated (at least it isn't a reverend or minister) and generally it seem like they are much cheaper than a religiously affilated person.
  • Options
    We are having a good friend marry us. Depending on the state you are in, the officiant or JP may have to be ordained. In Massachusetts where I live, the person marrying you only has to mail in an application and a reference letter to the governor and they will "grant" you the right to marry them for that one day. It doesn't have to be religious or anything like that if you don't want it to. But like I said, it depends on the laws of the state you live in.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards