New Jersey
Options

Can the MOB wear black?

I don't know where all these questions are coming from tonight. Mom picked a dress a few months ago, but her friend just told her she's not allowed to wear black. Friend said it'll look like she's not happy for us. WDYT? Did your MOB wear black or a dark color?

Re: Can the MOB wear black?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My mom is wearing a black dress and it is absolutely stunning. She was happy with it and that is all that mattered to me.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I've seen lots of MOBs and MOGs wear black and other dark colors, and it looks fine. As long as she's not wearing a black veil and scowling, I think people will get that she's not in mourning or something. My mom's wearing pale blue, but she just found her outfit on a whim so she didn't really plan a specific color. My BMs will likely be in black, though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't want the bp or mothers in black but that was a personal decision.  If you like the dress, are fine with black, and your mom likes the dress/feels special in it that's all that matters.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I originally was surprised that MH's mom was going to wear black b/c both are families are pretty traditional & years ago it was unheard of but, as pp said, I wanted mothers (& all) to be comfortable. MIL wore black and wasn't "wearing a black veil and scowling' LOL @ mbc...  so it looked fine, was totally appropriate!
    A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    coccopuffscoccopuffs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Italian weddings i heard that if the mother of the groom is wearing black that it means she is in morning  that her son is marrying someone she does not like. I am a superstitious person so i told my MOG not to if she could help it and luckily she ws great and got another color.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My Mom is wearing a black dress with tan down the middle PIB.  I have never heard this.  My aunt wore all black to my cousins wedding and looked beautiful..  As long as MOB doesn't wear white your ok. Black is hot, not a mourning color.  Tell your Mom friend is wrong! My girls are wearing black too soo obviously it is a color I am fond of :)
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As pp said in Italian tradition it means the person wearing it is unhappy however most people probably know that black is just a popular and flattering color for a dress that can possibly be re-used. If you are ok with it then there is no reason not to.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we are not Italian - but FI's family is. I don't have any problem with it though. I loved the dress on her! but I just told her no black veil and no scowling. lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Italian weddings i heard that if the mother of the groom is wearing black that it means she is in morning that her son is marrying someone she does not like.Yikes I guess I am in trouble...lol
    Hold On ....Michael Buble
    MTHFR 2 copies of C677t mutation homozygous 2/2010
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby A born via c-section 1/10/12 @38w3d
    BFP #1 11/4/09 m/c 4w3d baby crab
    BFP #2 12/4/09 m/c 9w3d baby lion
    BFP #3 7/1/10 m/c 4w1d baby fish
    BFP #4 5/8/11
    BFP #5 8/17/12 10dpo beta 7
  • Options
    kathymariekathymarie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    our mothers didnt, but we're italian. my good friend's mom wore black and I have never seen a more stunning 50 something yr old in my life.
    Married 7/19/09
    MC 9/8/10
    Baby Boy Born 7/31/11
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I honestly think a black dress is beautiful.  I know some think that it's a mourning color, but IMO it's a flattering color!
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kle0113kle0113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom wore black to my brothers wedding 10 years ago but asked him first if it was ok. He of course said yes and the dress was beautiful! I honestly like black its flattering and timeless.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom wore black. My MIL was adamantly against it and didn't like that I even had the bridal party in black.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    it used to be a sign of disapproval or something, but hell, there are a lot of supposed "traditions" that mean nothing these days (and really should have never held any weight "back then").... wear what you love!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love black so I wouldnt have a problem with it. I'm sure old etiquette says no because it means they are in mourning...but who follows that anymore anyway.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My Mom wore black and so did my MOH.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    some might interpret it as mourning for the loss of her son, so I wouldnt do it, why doesnt she wear a similar color to the BM?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Back in the day people only wore black to funerals and to show that they were mourning, but obviously that's not true anymore, and the LBD is usually the go-to outfit for most occasions.Personally I've never worn black to a wedding because I just don't feel right doing it and I know my mom would never wear black to our wedding. But, I've been to weddings where the MOB wore black and she looked great. It's really just about your own personal preference. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    if my bm's didn't wear black, my mom was going to. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    seabass, so people dont wear black to funerals anymore??? 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Really brad? I said people only used to wear black to funerals. As in today aside from funerals, people will wear black to work, to dinner, for a night out on the town, to wedding, etc....What did you not understand about that?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i wear hot pink...you haven't heard brad, it's the new funeral color.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Back in the day people only wore black to funerals and to show that they were mourning, but obviously that's not true anymoreIt is semantics, the way you wrote infers that it isnt true that people wear black to funerals to show they were mourning.  I was just busting your chops
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my mom wore black, it was stunning and elegant
  • Options
    Beach_BrideBeach_Bride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom also wore black, heck I was there when she bought it.  MH family is Italian, I can only imagine what his guests were saying! lol.  Who cares? My mom was comfy and looked beautiful in it and that's all I cared about! :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards