Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

skincare... HELP!!

I'd like to think I have nice skin.. which I DO!! Underneath my occasional acne and scarring. I've been getting regular facials and microderms and taking care of myself... lots of sleep, good food.. etc. I'm not doing the pill (health reasons). Does anyone have a great skincare routine that will help with the occasional and really REALLY REALLY frustrating acne?! Any good skincare brands?!

Re: skincare... HELP!!

• By "REALLY REALLY frustrating" do you mean deep and cystic-like? Is it concentrated around your lower cheek, chin or jawline? It could be hormonal.  Hormonal acne is stubborn and does not respond well to traditional over the counter treatment.  Some women have luck controlling this with a birth control pill... but you mentioned you don't/won't take one. I am allergic so I can relate. My dermatologist prescribed Spirnolactone for me and since taking it daily, my skin has completely changed. I have a long post about it in my blog (link in sig) with full information.

Or, is it deep and concentrated in the center of your cheeks? It could be dairy related.  This is not always the case but just try cutting dairy out of your diet (or cutting back) for a week or two to see what happens. I had a hard time cutting it out all together because I eat so much of it. I never realized how much my diet depends on dairy until I tried to filter it out, but even just decreasing my in take helped the problem.

Either way, I would see a doctor/dermatologist/esthetician. There are so many solutions for problem skin but experimenting with a lot of things on your own could make the problem worse/your skin more irritated. A professional can identify what your exact problem is and help come up with a solution. GL!
  • By really REALLY frustrating it's random, sporadic, and I'll have 1 full day of beautiful clean skin, and BAM. An underground pimple, or a painful-poppable white head. They are pretty much sporadic and mostly happen on my chin (in an oily spot) or on my forehead... or my hairline. I've been seeing an esthetician and I think I'm going to try and see a dermatologist to see what they can do. I was wondering if it were diet related -- but it doesn't sound like it's dairy related at least. I'm lactose intolerant anyways, so I tend to stray from dairy :)
  • it could be diet-related, stress-related, hormonal-related... any number of things. but if it's just one or two at a time, that's so within the realm of normal, it's just... I wouldn't change up my skin routine just for one or two occasional zits. that's what concealer is for. I certainly wouldn't drop the coin on a dermatologist for one or two.

NO ONE has perfect skin 100% of the time.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Thanks... I think it's so hard for me to wrap my head around that sometimes! But you're right, that's what concealer is for and I just need to not pick..... btw, congrats on your wedding pooh 8402 (which appears to be in 3 days :)
  • I actually just went to the dermatologist because I have stubborn pimples & whiteheads around my chin/jawline area.  Like you my face would be nice and clear, then BAM -- up comes a pimple.  I tried Pro-Active and it did work but I would still occasionally get the pop ups (just not as frequent).  My dermatoligist said that he doesn't recommend using Pro-Active, he suggested that I use Nutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash and he prescribed me Benzaclyn (sp)? Anyways, it has worked wonders!  I never though a simple over the counter acne wash and a perscription would work but it has far surpassed Pro-Active!  I don't even wear concealer or foundation now -- ever.  That's how clear and even my skin tone is now.  I definitely recommend seeing a dermatologist.  They work with skin issues everyday and can see what type of skin you have and what will work best for you.  Best of luck!
  • Benzaclin! Yes. I tried that... it kinda made me look like Santa Claus... red and puffy. LOL But if it's working for you, I am glad.. haha :) I think I just have super sensitive skin so I couldn't handle Benzaclin...
  • I take doxycycline (100 mg twice a day).  I think monocycline is another option.
  • I don't know how long you have until your wedding, but my derm gave me an RX for Retin-A. It has helped tremendously.  She also gave me a topical anitbiotic so that it wouldn't cause an initial breakout (which is didn't). My skin is used to harsh acne products and I use a daily spf moisturizer so I have had little redness and no dryness.  It is a long term therapy, but it has faded almost all of my hyperpigmentation and melasma spots, cleared up the bulk of my acne and has improved the overall tone and texture of my skin. If you have at least a few months before the big day I woud give it a try.  I am so glad that I did...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards